Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Shorty Antenna - DIY

Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

looks good might have to do this...
Old 01-29-2012, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanieltheManual
Chopped mine last year, same reception ..... Make sure the threads make good contact when re installing ....
I did not include this in my write up but I sprayed some WD40 in and wiped out with a shop towel before I screwed in the antenna. It took out all kinds of nasty rust and black. Screwed right in and no loss of reception....
Old 01-29-2012, 02:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephane87

"Been there done that".... I did this mod 2 years ago and still work great even after repainting it a couple of time, so no idea what you're talking about!
Oh, did you make sure you put the antena back on the Jeep?
If your radio stations have strong signals in the 1st place you're not going to notice any difference and guys will say "no difference" But chopping down an antenna you will lose some or they'd save money on material and make them 13" in the first place..... Now I listen to a small local radio station with a weak signal in the first place and after I chopped mine the station came in worse..... Bought a stubby from AntennaX and as I mentioned earlier I was even WORSE off with their product. So I unscrewed my GF's sisters jk antenna put it on mine and it was back to normal.
But I like the look of the stubby so it's still on the jeep until I get around to the experiment of putting some fine copper wire around it(the stubby) or my cut down stock. Soooooo it......the weaker signal, has everything to do with chopping down the stock antenna not if it's screwed in correctly(as mentioned in another post).
So if you can zip your dick in safely after taking a pee lol....... I'm pretty sure the guy above can screw in an antenna properly...... its that easy.

Last edited by robsjeep9; 01-29-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
If your radio stations have strong signals in the 1st place you're not going to notice any difference and guys will say "no difference" But chopping down an antenna you will lose some or they'd save money on material and make them 13" in the first place..... Now I listen to a small local radio station with a weak signal in the first place and after I chopped mine the station came in worse..... Bought a stubby from AntennaX and as I mentioned earlier I was even WORSE off with their product. So I unscrewed my GF's sisters jk antenna put it on mine and it was back to normal.
But I like the look of the stubby so it's still on the jeep until I get around to the experiment of putting some fine copper wire around it(the stubby) or my cut down stock. Soooooo it......the weaker signal, has everything to do with chopping down the stock antenna not if it's screwed in correctly(as mentioned in another post).
So if you can zip your dick in safely after taking a pee lol....... I'm pretty sure the guy above can screw in an antenna properly...... its that easy.
I cut mine at 10 inches (antena)...and even when I go ski, about 1h30 from my city (Montreal), I'm still getting all the signals the same way as before the cut. Maybe it's a Canadian thing
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephane87

I cut mine at 10 inches (antena)...and even when I go ski, about 1h30 from my city (Montreal), I'm still getting all the signals the same way as before the cut. Maybe it's a Canadian thing
Lol no just my local Christian station thing
*wink*
Old 01-29-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salerno
Nice write up.
Thanks! It's easy to do!
Old 01-29-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

One of the first things I did also, Much better
Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Supro
I did this to mine a week or so ago and I haven't notice any loss in reception whatsoever.

How long is your antenna? I like the length
Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Just cut my antenna n there is no loss in radio reception what so ever, u can buy a shorty it's the same thing, this way is cheaper. Antenna no longer banging into my KC lights. Thanks for the idea greenJK07

Quick Reply: Shorty Antenna - DIY