Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Should I replace the clutch plate?

Old 11-21-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I replace the clutch plate?

I had to replace the throw-out bearing in my 2007 Jeep Wrangle Unlimited X 6-speed manual. While I was at it, I decided it would be best to replace the clutch while I had the thing apart (65,000 miles on it). When I removed the clutch, it looked fine. I measured the thickness of the new plate versus the old plate and there was a fraction of difference in thickness. The new plate is about 8.1mm and the old plate is about 7.5mm. Do you think I should change it anyway?
Old 11-21-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I had the same thing happen to me. I can't remember the numbers but it appeared to be close to new so I did not replace the clutch, but did replace the throw out bearing. Plus, they sent me the wrong clutch and I did not want to wait. Well, I now have 77K miles and my cutch is going out. Yes, I do regret not replacing my clutch.

If I remember correctly, the padding only uses about 30% of the material. So, while it looks Ok, is not.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:02 AM
JK Newbie

Gotcha. Based on this, I'll just go ahead and replace. Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Should I replace the clutch plate?