Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side plates for protection

Old 10-19-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side plates for protection

Hey yall! So, I don't necessarily need these for rock climbing and such, but I do drive down dirt/gravel often and I do wear heels (I know you guys don't understand haha), but my heels tend to scratch across my paint sometimes. With that being said, I need more protection than entry guards. I've been looking at rocker panels, but I'm not sure which ones are the best/best price for what I'm looking for. I see some that come with sills and some that you have to purchase those separately and some that are attached by adhesive double-sided tape and some that are to be screwed and so on. So, what is my best bet?
Thanks!!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always try a bed liner such as Raptor Liner or line-ex. If you do a search I'm sure can you find some pics, many on this forum have done it. If you go the professional route and do Line-X (I would) they will be able to do a real good job and hit your rocker panels all the way up into your door sills.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:56 PM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Warrior side plates on my 4 door JK. They fit right below the door sill and extend from fender to fender. I went with the aluminum diamond plate but they have a couple to choose from. I also notched the bottoms to fit with the Rubi rails.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are gonna buy a set I say OR-Fab because I have won free stuff from them. The raptor liner isn't a bad idea, but if all you are protecting from is heel scratches and dings, you could plasti-dip a line on both sides. Less prep work, and would cost $15 to $20.
Although I did take a stiletto to the head once so maybe bed liner is the way to go......

That scar is a year after the stiletto incident

Click image for larger version

Name:	1319682537315.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	580617
Old 10-19-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Anglico1
You can always try a bed liner such as Raptor Liner or line-ex. If you do a search I'm sure can you find some pics, many on this forum have done it. If you go the professional route and do Line-X (I would) they will be able to do a real good job and hit your rocker panels all the way up into your door sills.
Thank you for posting! So, you're saying it'd be ok to do bed liner on top of my paint, instead of buying rocker panels?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RC3
I installed the Warrior side plates on my 4 door JK. They fit right below the door sill and extend from fender to fender. I went with the aluminum diamond plate but they have a couple to choose from. I also notched the bottoms to fit with the Rubi rails.

Thank you for the post and pictures!! Pictures help so much! Did you buy the sill (the part thats supposed to go under the panel) or did you just buy the panel and install it?
Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
If you are gonna buy a set I say OR-Fab because I have won free stuff from them. The raptor liner isn't a bad idea, but if all you are protecting from is heel scratches and dings, you could plasti-dip a line on both sides. Less prep work, and would cost $15 to $20.
Although I did take a stiletto to the head once so maybe bed liner is the way to go......

That scar is a year after the stiletto incident

Attachment 580617
Thanks for the post!! I thought about vinyl or plasti-dip, but if my heel/rocks caught it it'd tear, I want something sturdy, that's why I started looking at the rocker panels. I also think the panels would be a nice addition to my build.

I'm so sorry to hear about your incident haha (sorry to laugh)
Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaylin_darling
Thank you for posting! So, you're saying it'd be ok to do bed liner on top of my paint, instead of buying rocker panels?
Yea that would work. Just keep it on the door seal part and it should look fine. Another option could be rockers then liner the seals. Protect the seals and the sides.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Easiest solution: stop driving in heels, before you kill someone...... aka wear some real shoes and when you get out put on the heels and walk around like a dancing circus animal.....
Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 PM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what sill you are referring to. I purchased the 3" plate that attaches to the body under the door. These do require drilling holes in the body of your Jeep.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0039P...&robot_redir=1

They also make a 5" version.

I used clear silicone to seal between the plate and the body to keep moisture out.

Quick Reply: side plates for protection