Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

SPAL Fan install

Old 05-13-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
Dude, that is SUCH a better installation than my super ghetto hack job... I did mine on a wing and a prayer since I had to leave the next morning to drive to Charleston for my wedding... So I just needed something to make it that far. Seems to be holding up well though. Nice job, and I would definitely have followed your write up over mine...

For everyone worried about the two speed deal, I'm not worried about it too much. When the new fan kicks on, it cools things down in a hurry...
Thanks. I just wonder if the fan will burn out faster because of the constant on/off routine.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldnt think its any more susceptable to burning out than a stock fan. I mean, they should be meant to last the life of the vehicle technically, so I'd assume its going to last. If not, I'm gonna be bitchin up a storm to SPAL to get my money back...
Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree I dont think it turning on and off with hurt at all, they are all designed to do that. I sent an email to spal asking if he knows why it wouldnt be working on low speed and about the shuting on and off. He said wiring it up with the diagram he gave might make it work on low and high I'm not sure about that because the stock fan using the same wires runs on high and low, but I know there are 2 different relays for the high and low, so I dont think its really the motor itself that has 2 different speeds, its more of what power its getting from the computer. I know spal makes a controller that has 2 different speeds, so thats why I believe its the power its receiving that makes the difference, I believe he told me in the beginning we couldnt use those controllers though.

How does the jeep seem to be running temp wise with the fan? Are they louder? Mine should be here friday on monday I think. It will be interesting because I have the aeroforce gauge and can see the temp in digital reading. I've seen my fan on low but I'm not sure when it and how long it stays on low, I've checked it 205 and not had it on. I know at 215 it comes in high all the time
Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

My temp never goes over half way. I'm not worried about the fan cooling because it kicks butt. I was going to wire it up IAW the diagram but my buddy said "Why reinvent the wheel". The Jeep already seperates the high and low voltages and sends it down the two wires to the fan. I tell you it's that darn mysterious green resistor. The three wires go to the top of the radiator to that connection are high, low, and ground. Then some how they merge and become two wires (hot wire and ground wire) to the fan. Somehow they go through that resistor thingy. All in all I am happy with the install and I am looking forward to seeing tkob060's write-up.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Just wondering if anyone has figured this thing out yet with the one speed. I just talked to someone from spal and they said that the fan is a one speed motor. There is a temperature switch that you can buy from them and it will automatically turn the motor on when it hits 185

I just purchased the fan cause mine failed and it keeps popping fuses anytime i try to turn the ac on.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Hey Spy how is your fan doing? have you run it with the a/c on on the highway? If i do 70-75 on highway I will start to overheat. I did same install as you.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 id like to know how the spal fans holding up too.. ima most likely be going with one too
Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

check this out guys maybe this will help out with both low and high fan speeds and temps..

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...tem=FAN-PWM-V3

You simply choose the Low and High temperature settings you desire. When the low temperature setting is reached the fan begins spinning at 50% speed. As the engine temperature increases, the speed of the fan slowly increases until it reaches the High setting, where it is then running at 100%.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Great something else to buy......Well if you put a switch to this fan couldnt you just switch it on whenever your temp gauge is goign up....example....when tkrob is doing 70 to 75 on the interstate.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Nght&Day-jk
check this out guys maybe this will help out with both low and high fan speeds and temps..

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.as...tem=FAN-PWM-V3
according to the Spal engineer that wouldnt work on our jeeps, I just dont remember why, it does seem like it should but I am going to get the Flashpaq you can adjust what temps the fan comes on

Originally Posted by Warlock13
Great something else to buy......Well if you put a switch to this fan couldnt you just switch it on whenever your temp gauge is goign up....example....when tkrob is doing 70 to 75 on the interstate.
umm #1 you'd have eto have the aeroforce gauge to know exactly what the temp is and when its going up, then you'd always have to be watching it, the temp is constantly changing, to much to be manually putting the fan on.

#2 the fan is on when I am on the highway since putting the spal on because my temp is always over 215 which makes the fan run on high

Quick Reply: SPAL Fan install