Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Spare Tire Carrier Reinforcement

Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Carrier Reinforcement

After a couple summers using the Thule Spare Me bike carrier on the back of my JK (with stock Gladiator/Dueler spare), the aluminum cracked by the two upper lug/studs.

I will insert image of cracks in the near future, but the flat top surface of the spare carrier developed hairline cracks near the insertion of the studs. Continued running would undoubtedly result in the spare parting company with my JK.

I will admit overloading the Thule rack with more bike than recommended, but I'm not crying about that. To prevent further cracking or catastrophic failure, I decided to brace my slowly failing unit. A beefy carrier is not in the budget and I haven't stumbled on a replacement stocker to replace mine yet.

1. I bought a chunk of 1.5" x 1.5" x 1/8" steel angle iron from Lowe's/HD, four 3/8" hex screws, four nylock nuts, four washers and a pair of 5/16" turnbuckles. Turnbuckles must be able to be lengthened to about 7" and should be closed loops at both ends, not a "J" hook. (also should have gotten a pair of 5/16" nuts for jam nuts). Total cost was about $12.

2. I drilled holes and used angle grinder to make the small 90 degree brackets that attach to top bolts that attach carrier to tailgate. One of the legs is cut shorter to fit into the recess in the carrier, and one leg is left the full 1.5".

3. I cut a length of the angle iron to fit across the top, drilling two 1/2" holes on the "face" to fit over the lug/studs and two 3/8" holes on the "top" to attach the ends of the turnbuckles.

4. I drilled a 1/2" hole and cut a flat plate, like a washer, to fit over the bottom stud/lug to provide a flat surface to bolt the spare.

5. After cleaning up the edges, I painted the four pieces with my favorite coating, "Rustoleum Grip & Guard," designed for tool handles-it's tough, textured, dries super fast.

6. I made sure that I oriented the turnbuckles so that a clockwise twist will tighten both sides, and I SHOULD have pulled them apart and installed lock nuts on the right-hand-threaded I-bolts.

7. I assembled the brackets and turnbuckles as shown:

And with the tire, you can see the turnbuckles through the spokes from some angles, but a dusting of black coloring on the bolt heads and turnbuckles would make it much more discreet.

8. I run to the car wash and get all this salt and grime off my Jeep.

Obviously, this only helps prevent failure of the aluminum carrier. It in no way reduces load or likelihood of tailgate or hinge failure. This should keep my spare from bouncing down the road or trail, unless it's attached to the tailgate

-Joel

Update: here is an image of the cracks that prompted the reinforcement:

Last edited by joelmahoney; 02-01-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like it. Might be a nice preventitive meassure for keeping my 35in spare from busting the mount.
-wwiifirearms
Old 02-01-2010, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Cracks

Update to show original cracks. Both sides just above both top studs.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

Smart thinking. Great write up
Old 02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Much cheaper than a new bumper great work
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

+1 for MacGuyver award.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

This one's a winner. It's on my list of things to do tomorrow. x2 for MacGuyver award.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this may not mean much
but the carrier is actually made out of magnesium
Old 05-09-2015, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why not just replace it with a new one? They're very cheap on craigslist. Now you're transfering the load to the also weak tailgate sheetmetal.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KlausVanwinkle
Why not just replace it with a new one? They're very cheap on craigslist.
Keep throwing money at an underdesigned piece? No, thanks.

Originally Posted by KlausVanwinkle
... Now you're transfering the load to the also weak tailgate sheetmetal.
The load always was on the weak tailgate. I'm not changing the load on the tailgate, I'm just keeping my stock spare carrier in one piece. My weak tailgate has survived so far. I'll address that failure if/when it comes.

-Joel

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Carrier Reinforcement