Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Spring Soft Top Care & Maintenance

Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Spring Soft Top Care & Maintenance

Salt Got Your Soft Top Down?

One thing we all must realize, is that the soft tops are made of cloth/material (heavy weave denim) which can be cleaned just like a pair of jeans.. and if the soft top is small enough, (Bikini, Safari top etc) it can be washed at the laundromat. Just don't placed soft top in the dryer and make sure you remove all plastic buckles before washing. So Bestop isn't too far off with their answer.. Dawn might be viewed a bit harsh for cleaning the fabric tops.. But could be used as a localized spot/stain remover.

Warning: Do not use any product that has bleach or alcohol added into the cleaning agent.

The shoe brush technique isn't a bad idea.. Reasoning, it's made from horsehair and not something synthetic or plastic which could scratch or tear the fabric depending on the soft top's age. The only draw back is that the shoe brush isn't designed to get wet. The wooden handle will break down over time. I've sent a suggestion to Kiwi based on past experiences with their wooden handle shoe brush.. I told them they need to incorp plastic handles instead of wooden ones.

The brand of soap one uses doesn't matter just as long as it's safe for fabric.. But be careful using liquid products like All, Tide, Era etc.. as not to add too much to the water.. The same holds true with the above mentioned brands in the powder form.. If the crystals aren't dissolved entirely in warm water.. you could scratch the soft top with the undissolved crystals in the cleaning process. As a personal reference, I use Softsoap as our jeep's main wash product, perfect on all surfaces.

Warning: Do not purchase the Soft Soap with Aloe added to clean/wash your soft top. Make sure you purchase the "Soft Soap" brand name and not the store brand.

It's not just what type of soap one uses to clean their soft top.. it's what's done afterward the general cleaning/washing of the soft top, then protecting the fabric from fading, cracking and dry rotting. Here's a list of some of the products on the market listed as convertible tops cleaners and conditioners:
  • Meguiars Convertible Top Cleaner/Conditioner
  • Bestop Soft Top Cleaner
  • 303 Convertible Fabric Top Cleaning
  • Raggtopp Fabric and Vinyl Convertible Top Cleaner
It's definitely worth checking into and finding the right combination of products that help will keep and maintain your soft tops appearance for years to come. But soft tops aren't meant to last a lifetime and depending on your driving habits, weather conditions, and exposure, can weakening the fabric structure and cause it to break down/disintegrate. This is very similar to cleaning your jeeps battery, wiping your hands on your jeans then washing your jeans later, which can prove disastrous.

Look for more updates on this topic very soon..
Old 03-20-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

I use turtle wax ice premium care car wash 2 in 1, then I use the Bestop soft top cleaning kit before and right after winter.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been using the toughstuff foam cleaner followed by the 303 protectant...makes it look new...and protected.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

New to Jeep Wrangler I have the soft top and found that Surf City Garage Top End is a cleaner protectant. I used it last week end to clean the top for the first time. Had the jeep a week and it was at an airport parking lot for a week. I wanted to get all the spent airplane fuel off the top. I rinsed with a steady mist, sprayed top end and worked in with a soft Bristle brush let it dwell and rinsed with a steady mist until it ran clear. Did a nice job. It is available locally and is under $10.00

Ed

Quick Reply: Spring Soft Top Care & Maintenance