Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Start your 6spd without clutch? YES

Old 03-21-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

just washed the jeep and decided to try this mod, took ten minutes and worked out great. awesome mod now my lazy a$$ won't have to reach in to press clutch. thanks a bunch.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice work. Just to add to the write up i would suggest using a connector like a scotch lock instead of making a hole in the wire and twisting. they are very easy to use.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Freak

on both my TJs that was actually recommended by jeep to disconnect the clutch safety feature while off-roading. starting & stopping on a hill using the ignition key to save wear & tear on the clutch. i've done it a thousand times and it will move the jeep up a very steep hill and start the engine too. because if you depress the clutch, start engine, then use the clutch to get up that hill you will put more stress on it and potentially slip and dig yourself in and get stuck. learned this at a camp jeep years ago while driving on the course they build when you drive models of new jeeps ( can't remember the name? ). plus going down a steep hill, if you depress the clutch and brakes you can slide down a slick hill (done that before too) but if you simply turn the ignition key off you just stop without sliding.
i don't know ..... the TJs made it easy to disengage the feature but not the JKs
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SONIC
I would do this, but id end up starting it in gear and ramming something lol
(or someone else would)
Did this the first day I learned to drive a stick. It was an 81 Camaro and I was fooling with the shifter. I wanted to hear the exhaust on her so I started her up and accidentally let the clutch out. The Camaro lurched backwards with my Dad under the back end checking out the new exhaust. His head came about 3 inches from the rear tire.

I couldn't get in the thing for a week and to this day I'm scared to death I'm going to drop the clutch and run someone over while parked.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

not bad but i prob wouldnt do it my wife would froget and leave it in gear
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old posting but maybe you are still on top of this.
As far as I have tested in my JK the starting without pressing the clutch works on 4WD, furthermore, the cruise control also works, so my question is (and I am useless at electronics) can't the "functionality" for working on 2WD be stolen from the 4WD mode?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put it in 4-low everytime!

I've seen two remote starts on manuals "go wrong". Either the parking brake cable stretched and didnt hold quite well enough (wasn't left in gear, due to habit). Or the guy left it in gear and "never done that" and it drove into the car in front of him...Enough for me to pass on remote start!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phnguyjk
Apparently this was misunderstood by a couple of people. What this does is allow you, me, anyone to start their jeep without getting in or stretching your leg in and pressing the clutch pedal in. Say your significant other is in the passenger seat and you're loading in the back, and he/she wants to start the jeep, now I know it's not too tough to stop what you're doing and get in or reach in press the clutch and twist key. But with this mod you can toss the keys to he/she, and he/she can insert the key and twist and engine will start, ie. he/she didn't push clutch pedal in. Just be sure it's in NEUTRAL. Yes 4lo allows you to do this, well if you want, now you can do it in 2high, 4high, and still 4Lo and even neutral. Any DIY's planning to install a remote start on a 6spd JK this will help.
Thanks, and sorry for the rant.
I didn't know 4 low had a clutch cancel. Awesome. My old 4-runner had a clutch cancel button on the dash. I used it one or twice to inch my way out while stuck in the sand. Also for starting it without having to get in it like you stated. I'm bummed that the jeeps don't have them.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phnguyjk
80 miles and no troubles with this mod. But low and behold. If you have the 6spd and cruise control the clutch cancels the cruise control without mod. In this case clutch grounded means cruise will not "set" speed. What I did although I don't use cruise all that much was to install a small toggle switch on the dash connected to the spliced ground under the hood. Now when I'm driving and want to use cruise I flip the switch(opening the ground) and set cruise control. Also this acts as a extra security if someone uses you're jeep and you don't want to risk them leaving it in gear just flip the switch and remote start can't start it.
Very clever!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Default I used to do this all the time w/ my YJ

Mentioned it on the other thread about this.

Very handy. I'll be doing this on my '07. I miss this feature...

Quick Reply: Start your 6spd without clutch? YES