Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Stubby Front and Rear Bumpers with covered ends...

Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Stubby Front and Rear Bumpers with covered ends...

I cut the front stubby bumper, but I wasn't happy with how the cut ends looked. The front looked good, so I figured I would cut the rear and maybe there would be enough leftovers to cover the front ends. I did the rear stubby bumper, and I found that there was enough to cover the front ends. So I covered the front ends... Here's what I can tell you, along with some photos:

Here's how it all started, with the cutting of my Front Stubby:

I took my bumper off the jeep to try and cut the metal and plastic portions, so I could try to fold the pieces together to cover the ends. It wouldn't line up to create an end piece...
So I cut it off flat on the ends to try and add the short outer end of the stock plastic, but nothing was the same size.
So I created a cardboard template of the areas to be covered, but there were no pieces that had enough flat area to cover them...

Here is a pic from my stubby rear bumper under development:

The good news is that I found the leftover pieces fit the front stubby bumper ends perfectly! Start cutting those rears!!!!

By the way, I used a razor-knife to cut the rear since there was no metal behind the plastic. It was way smoother than using a sawzall, and it only took 3 or 4 times to cut all the way through...

Here's the rear, after completing the welds:

Here's the photos of the End-caps on the Front Stubby:

The welds are kinda big, because it was hard to fill the gaps and hold the piece against the bumper at the same time... Plus, it was raining while I did this... Then I burnt the crud out of my thumbs, while I smoothed the welds by heating them with the torch/soldering iron and rubbing them....

The welder is nothing more than a soldering iron. I always use a torch iron that uses butane for fuel. That way there's no cord in the way. You can find them at Walmart for $14, and they come with different tips for different things.
And I also found that the torch with a small flame is perfect for cleaning-up and smoothing all the rough edges and it will even fix any scratches in the bumper and flares!...

If you aren't familiar with how to weld plastic, just use slight movements in a knitting/stabbing motion. It should look a little like stitching. Just be sure to allow the plastic to heat enough so the weld penetrates deep enough into the bumper to hold it firmly. If you don't, the weld will split apart. Also, be sure to allow the weld to cool before letting go of the pieces or they will split...

Also, don't forget to use some extra trimmings from the plastic bumper pieces. You will need them to fill any gaps in the two ends being fused together.

As I mentioned before, the end-caps came from the ends of the rear bumper. Here are some photos of the cuts in the rear to make them fold over, as well as the template for the front caps and the leftover piece from the rear bumper that you cut them out of:

I hope this helps... I really like the look of the finished Stubbies...
I'll post some final pics of the bumpers, soon.... Start Cutting!!!!!

Last edited by Rubidozer; 04-25-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

looks really good

props to you for getting this done
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for your efforts to post this. Not only does your jeep look great but your detailed how-to will definately help me make mine come out much better. Thanks again for all the tips.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Dude this is by far the best mod for buck ever! I love the way your front welds look like real welds! I would not try to smooth it out any, the raw weld beed look is awesome! makes a "soft" bumper look hard! I love it! can't wait to do mine!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
JK Jedi Master

Looks awesome!! You have topped the mirror drill mod by far!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
RUT ROH..... methinks them be fightin' words.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

really looks great!!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Funny you should say that, because I just got on here to look at the 'Mirror-Drilling' thread; I noticed mine are leaving runs down the doors....
I'm not sure if this will top the all-time best thread ever, but thanks!
Old 04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Quick question to the almighty plastic master!

After you planned out the cuts and folds for the rear, do you think now that if you went back you could do the same type of fold for the front? I was looking at mine today and it looks like you could, just would have to just the metal part and plastic separate and you should have enough to fold back over and not have a seam on the front part of the bumper at least.

but your welds look killer, but I know that mine would like smushed bubble gum, that's why i'm thinking of trying to cut out the angles like you did on the rear for front as well. not sure if i'll be able to hit this weekend, but soon....
Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Thinkmud,

I think you should try it, if you think it will work. I tried, but couldn't get it right. You only get one chance, so leave the flap bigger than you need. You can always cut it down...
If I could do the rear bumper again, I would do it like the front; The rear flaps that folded over left some crazy lumpy bend in the plastic and turned the plastic gray. I guess I should have heated the folded area more, before I bent it over... Plus, it was really hard to get the folded part to stay in place while I welded it...
Good luck on your cutting/welding! The worst you can do, is end up cutting it off and welding the cap on...

Or maybe catch yourself on fire!
Just kidding!

Quick Reply: Stubby Front and Rear Bumpers with covered ends...