Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Stubby Front and Rear Bumpers with covered ends...

Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm.. I was thinking the folded way would be easier, but now that you mention the color changes of plastic it makes more sense to do the full cap like you did on the front, b/c personally I think the bead you got around it looks really cool. So I will try it like that now, just full caps front and rear. and as far as messing up, I have 2 extra front bumpers to get scrap plastic from or even start over if i have to but if i catch it on fire, I guess I'll have metal stubbies
Old 04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
JK Freak

Great job! That looks great, and you did it yourself with your own idea. That's a jeep thing!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:43 PM
JK Freak

yea nice job !!
Old 04-14-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Dozer, quick question for ya, how did keep your plastic cover on the front attached to the metal if you cut off where it is bolted? I was looking at mine and it looks like the only 4 bolts holding the plastic to the metal are past the parts where you cut off. did you just use some sheet metal screws or something? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
Looks awesome!! You have topped the mirror drill mod by far!
Hey! Hey! Let's not get carried away here! It's a great mod and all, but let's just not get carried away!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
Dozer, quick question for ya, how did keep your plastic cover on the front attached to the metal if you cut off where it is bolted? I was looking at mine and it looks like the only 4 bolts holding the plastic to the metal are past the parts where you cut off. did you just use some sheet metal screws or something? Thanks.
If you look inside the rear of the metal bumper, there are two holes where plastic-plugs line-up with two holes.... I heated the plastic-plugs and smashed them flat against the metal; Then I used 2 screws and some washers that were larger than the holes to mount through those holes. Just be sure not to overtighten the screws....
Then I used two small bolts and nuts to join the plastic and the metal near the outside ends of the bumper, just inside the ends. Then I capped the ends of the bumper, so I cannot remove the twp bolts unless I were to cut some access-holes.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

The welded ends on the stubbies held together, even though I beat the snot out of them in Tellico!

I was doing moderate and extreme trails, and I couldn't tear them apart! They took quite a few hits and scrapes! But, most-of-all, they were designed perfectly to allow my tires to climb boulders and rockwalls without denting or tearing-off the stock bumper entirely...

It was snowing pretty hard all weekend, so it was causing alot of sliding into rocks and I really thought I would tear these stock stubbies right off!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rubidozer
The welded ends on the stubbies held together, even though I beat the snot out of them in Tellico!

I was doing moderate and extreme trails, and I couldn't tear them apart! They took quite a few hits and scrapes! But, most-of-all, they were designed perfectly to allow my tires to climb boulders and rockwalls without denting or tearing-off the stock bumper entirely...

It was snowing pretty hard all weekend, so it was causing alot of sliding into rocks and I really thought I would tear these stock stubbies right off!

Awesome Mod! Not to hijack the thread, but how'd would you compare your stock trip to Tellico, with your lifted trip to Tellico?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

The stock trip to Tellico sounded like this:
SCRAPE, BANG, CLUNK, SCRAPE, SCREEECH, THUNK, SCRAPE, SCRAPE, SCRAPE.

The recent trip to Tellico, with the 35s and the 3" lift, sounded like this:
.................................................. .................................................. .........................

It was utterly awesome! I have wheeled alot of different vehicles in alot of places, but my JK Rubi Unlim blew them all away! And a few of them had more lift and bigger tires! I have wanted to go on the extreme trails, but never dared to even when the weather was good... The JK performed so incredibly well, that I decided to go to the extreme trails and try my luck... I couldn't find anything that my JK couldn't traverse! My buddies said that I made everything look easy! In one of the pics, with the green TJ on the ledge, I climbed that 8ft ledge like it wasn't even there! My buddies were freaking-out screaming and cheering! They had never seen anyone come out of the river and just shoot right up the ledge even in good weather! They should have some video....

That's saying alot, considering there was a snowstorm of wind, snow, and ice and the ground was covered with icy mud! It was so cold, that we couldn't stand outside for more than a few minutes without our hands cramping-up!

I can't wait till I go again, when the weather is good.... I'm gonna go places that some rigs never see without a winch, bumpers, and clean underpants!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here are some better pics of the stubbies:

Quick Reply: Stubby Front and Rear Bumpers with covered ends...