Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tailgate shock project Done!!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
Hey bud,

Thanks for the props, Voodoo.
Nothing to thank for.

Your kit is well made and thought over, can't beat it for the price! Here the shock alone would cost more than your kit!

The bar you bolt to the tailgate is essential in distributing the load as we discussed early in this thread.

If I like a product I recommend it. My dealer has your address and is thinking 'bout installing your kit as an option on new Jeeps, don't know if he contacted you yet...

It took me 'bout 45 min. to install 'cause knowing me I measured everything 3 times. hold in place, check etc. before drilling. Easy Job to do and the result is strong.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just ordered the Woods kit for both the hood and rear gate. With two antennas on the spare tire mount I need the door to stay open when the window is up.

Originally Posted by Voodoo
Nothing to thank for.

Your kit is well made and thought over, can't beat it for the price! Here the shock alone would cost more than your kit!

The bar you bolt to the tailgate is essential in distributing the load as we discussed early in this thread.

If I like a product I recommend it. My dealer has your address and is thinking 'bout installing your kit as an option on new Jeeps, don't know if he contacted you yet...

It took me 'bout 45 min. to install 'cause knowing me I measured everything 3 times. hold in place, check etc. before drilling. Easy Job to do and the result is strong.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Voodoo
This is why I like Brett's kit.
The auminium bar distributes the force on a large surface. Mine is rock-solid...

I'll second that vote!! Brett's stuff is all rock solid and very well made, with GREAT instructions.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:57 AM
Combat Jump

Default Some final advice...

I added this to my 2009 white Rubicon Unlimited, and my wife loves it - no more getting hit in the back of the legs while loading groceries.

I had to drill two sets of holes though, and hope to save others the trouble. Here's what I did:

1. Mounted the tailgate bracket a bit too much to the left as you look at it on the tailgate - just enough so that when you try to close the tailgate you can see that the the collapsed gas strut is too long to allow the door to close! Darn! Had to re-mount the bracket less than an inch to the right (measured MANY times before re-drilling.

2. Did not position the jeep mounted bracket as rear-most as possible. This meant that upon full extension, the tailgate did not extend all the way, but used the gas strut itself as a bump stop. You could see the flex and figure it wouldn't last a long time like that. So, I remounted that bracket as close as I could to the rear of the jeep - touching the rubber weather seal.

My setup is now a perfect fit. The tailgate opens fully, and the hinges absorb the shock of opening, not the gas strut.

I bought the parts from MSC that someone earlier had listed - in black. Cost was around $32, and deliver was in 2 days. They also sent me a hardbound book catalog that ways at least 5 pounds.

I bought a rivet nut kit for about $120, and used 10/32 rivet nuts, but the Harbor Freight set will probably work as well for a fifth the cost.

I mounted my brackets high, like member neoxxis shows in his photos.

Overall, a great idea, and thanks to all who contributed their experiences here.

I am now looking at how I can get the front doors to stay propped open a bit, like on regular car doors. Any ideas?

Last edited by Combat Jump; 01-13-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Combat Jump
I added this to my 2009 white Rubicon Unlimited, and my wife loves it - no more getting hit in the back of the legs while loading groceries.

I had to drill two sets of holes though, and hope to save others the trouble. Here's what I did:

1. Mounted the tailgate bracket a bit too much to the left as you look at it on the tailgate - just enough so that when you try to close the tailgate you can see that the the collapsed gas strut is too long to allow the door to close! Darn! Had to re-mount the bracket less than an inch to the right (measured MANY times before re-drilling.

2. Did not position the jeep mounted bracket as rear-most as possible. This meant that upon full extension, the tailgate did not extend all the way, but used the gas strut itself as a bump stop. You could see the flex and figure it wouldn't last a long time like that. So, I remounted that bracket as close as I could to the rear of the jeep - touching the rubber weather seal.

My setup is now a perfect fit. The tailgate opens fully, and the hinges absorb the shock of opening, not the gas strut.

I bought the parts from MSC that someone earlier had listed - in black. Cost was around $32, and deliver was in 2 days. They also sent me a hardbound book catalog that ways at least 5 pounds.

I bought a rivet nut kit for about $120, and used 10/32 rivet nuts, but the Harbor Freight set will probably work as well for a fifth the cost.

I mounted my brackets high, like member neoxxis shows in his photos.

Overall, a great idea, and thanks to all who contributed their experiences here.

I am now looking at how I can get the front doors to stay propped open a bit, like on regular car doors. Any ideas?

Yeah, the same kind of gas strut, but with a much lower force.
There are many kinds of strut end mounts, including pins that could be quickly removed with the doors.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Done, very easy, and works great! From order to install 3hrs, but I'm lucky because McMaster-Carr is only 12miles from home, and A Harbor Freight near also. Picked up some metal for the grill mod while I was there also.

McMaster-Carr parts:
9416K192 - Gas Shock 30LBS (should have gotten the 40LBS) 18.62"
9416K74 - 10mm Black Steel Ball Socket for M6 Thread
9512K93 - Ball Mount Hardware (longer for inside the rig)
9512K92 - Ball Mount Hardware (shorter for the tailgate)

Harbor Freight tools:
94100 - Blind Riveter
2972 - Nut Rivets
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phillips_kl
Picked up some metal for the grill mod while I was there also.
What type of metal did you get? I am interested in doing that grill mod as well, but still shopping for the metal.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone have a picture of the strut and how it sits along the door when the gate is closed? I am curious how much room is needed if I have the back packed full for a camping trip.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Neoxxis - if you take off the taillight, you can gain access to that area. You may be able to reach your install location - or may not- there is a piece of sheetmetal in there that you have to contort your hand around. I was able to get one bolt and nut on, but not they other two. I also used JB weld (sanded area to bare metal first) and put two self cutting 1/4 inch screws in...mine is solid as a rock. I attached the tailgate piece the similarly - jb weld and self cutting screws....again, solid as a rock! In my opinion, the trick was to let the JB weld cure for 24 hrs and use a 30lb shock. I also repainted everything with touch up...looks factory!
Old 06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neoxxis
That's why I used these:

They lock inside so they will never come off...

Not like the ones that you "try to pop" like a rivet... They will come off I have no doubt!

10-4.
what is this called? It looks like it might be like a drywall anchor

Quick Reply: Tailgate shock project Done!!