Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Teraflex Tire Carrier Installation (bandwidth intensive)

Old 06-29-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex Tire Carrier Install

I Second the Motion! Great write-up with good pictures and info on a new product. I have been thinking about one of these myself.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the write up! I have been debating on what to do with my 35 spare on factory hinges! This seems like the best option until I decided on rear bumper! THANKS!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write-up, and good action shots too. The hinges should loosen up some with use. Ours moves very close to as freely as the stock hinges did-one good push and it swings shut and latches smoothly.
Hopefully, now that there are some out there, they'll be more installs and feedback.
As was alluded to, those extra holes are supposed to be for future accessory brackets.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Aha! The instructions do call for the supplied bolts to mount the tailgate. Woops! Regardless, I'm glad to see this was helpful for all of you, it's easy enough to do so look for more write ups as my budget allows! I will try to follow the directions in the future..
Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Great write up

Great write up!! Very informative and thorough. The pictures you took during the process are great. I'm glad I have seen a couple of these write ups showing the tailgate getting shimmed before pulling the hardware. Knowing me I would get going too fast and not think to do that until it was too late!!

Teraflex, how about that hi-lift mount for your fancy new hinge assembly?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default stiff hinge

I just finished my install and no mistakes other than I had to run to Home Depot to pick up thread locking compound while my hinges were off (everything still lined up).

Thanks for the write up, I would have missed the part about using supplied bolts wo reading this thread. I also hung my CB mount upside down from the bottom which now made my 3' firestick too short.

ICRASHBIKES, I am finding the gate operates at least twice the stiffness as stock. Is yours the same and has it loosened up with some time?

Last edited by Grinder; 07-19-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

I can't seem to find this part on the TeraFlex site, can someone provide a part # or information about where to order from?
Many thanks
Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Default website not updated

Originally Posted by wpgwrangler
I can't seem to find this part on the TeraFlex site, can someone provide a part # or information about where to order from?
Many thanks
I just called them and ordered by phone. $499, I ordered tire relocator and brake light extension but both those were not needed to fit my 35s so you may not need them as well unless you go bigger than 35.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the carrier have a cb mount location or does the original TeraFlex cb mount still work
Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by acenoah
I just called them and ordered by phone. $499, I ordered tire relocator and brake light extension but both those were not needed to fit my 35s so you may not need them as well unless you go bigger than 35.

Thx for the info ace

Quick Reply: Teraflex Tire Carrier Installation (bandwidth intensive)