Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tereflex Quick Disconnect Install

Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same issue here. I bolted in the discos, went to lift the sway bar up to meet up with the pin and the top bolt hits the metal, so I can't raise the sway bar high enough to connect them. Now I'm going to have to cut down the bolts like Mark did. That's a pain when you weren't expecting it.

Oh, and there were no instructions in the box. It's a good thing I have this forum to fall back on.

Originally Posted by snippy
Hrmm, I have a weird issue.

If I use the stock axle mount bolts in the upper position, facing out, they rub against the tire lugs when stuffed & turning. If I turn the bolts around so the head faces outwards, it works fine while disco'd, but then I can't swing the sway bar back down because the threaded end of the bolt hits against the metal 'cowl' of the coil retainer (near the word 'which' in your 5th picture).

Any suggestions? Should I get shorter bolts?

Not only that, but both zerk nipples went missing on the passenger side somehow while disco'd and wheeling this weekend, sigh.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's mine they work great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160001_01.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	17880   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160002_01.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	17881  
Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Default Looks Good!

Originally Posted by britjk
Here's mine they work great.
I've got mine sitting on the workbench ready to install....as soon as the temps warm up to at least 30. Man I'm getting tired of this near zero stuff.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed these last week and yesterday I tried to disconnect and then stow
them. I soon discovered that the bolts are slightly too long, maybe a thread
or two. They would move past the spring cowel with a push, but I had to tap
the sway bar with a block of wood and hammer to get the sway bar back
down to driving position. Defintely gonna have to trim a bit of the bolts
to eliminate this minor problem.

I really do like the ability to stow the links while wheeling.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine went on without a hitch. About 10 minutes for either side. Disconnect is easy as is reattachment as long as you are on level ground.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Good writeup and feedback, TF Discos now on my buy list. Thanks
Old 02-13-2009, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Just got mine yesterday..quick question:
1) is there a top and bottom to the disconnects?(does it matter which end goes to the frame and whice end is the "sway"?)
2) do i only need to remove the silver bushing on the "Sway end" not the one attached to the frame?
3) the pin where i stow the bar in the "disconnected" position isn't a tight fit..it slightly jiggles. is taht correct?

thanks
Steve
Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Cool, I just ordered mine 2 days ago; seem like a simple install and very easy to use, I'm actually replacing my RC Discos, because they are PITA to operate...
Old 12-15-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by stevedolce
Just got mine yesterday..quick question:
1) is there a top and bottom to the disconnects?(does it matter which end goes to the frame and whice end is the "sway"?)
2) do i only need to remove the silver bushing on the "Sway end" not the one attached to the frame?
3) the pin where i stow the bar in the "disconnected" position isn't a tight fit..it slightly jiggles. is taht correct?

thanks
Steve

wow, no one answered your questions...

well, i just opened my box and it appears that at least the latest batch of these (so far the 3rd design i've seen for the same disconnects). has 2 totally different size mounts for the bottom quick disconnect and the storage quick disconnect. mine are very different in size. so the bottom ones go into the links without the sleeve, and the storage ones just fit lose, probably to make it easier to throw them up there, there is no need for them to be tight.

so the top link's bushings do have the sleeve, and the bottom ones that connect to the quick disconnects do not have a sleeve, the disconnect is a tight fit without the sleeve, no play. but the storage quick disconnect pins are smaller now and allow much play in the "stored" position.

the sway bar links are angled as well, so the they should be angled inwards going up. so the bottom is closer to the tire then the top.

hope that helps!
Old 12-25-2009, 03:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default teraflex disconnects touching suspension coil / spring

Great write up.

Long background story, but, i've needed to replace my factory sway bar link arms quickly before Christmas, and the teraflex quick disconnects were the only ones I could get before the Christmas shutdown.

After fitting them, i noticed that the right hand side (driver's side for US Jeeps, passenger side for my Australian Jeep) disconnect now touches the suspension coil / spring. Although it is not pressed really hard against the spring, clearly it is not a good setup and the 10kms of driving since fitting it already show rub marks on the disconnect.

Has anyone noticed this problem? The weird part is that the other side has enough clearance between the spring and the disconnet to not be a problem. Looking at the spring that is touching the disconnect, it is not sitting exactly in the middle in relation to the bump stop, so I am thinking it is possible the spring has somehow moved forward and is now in the way.

More to the point, can anyone suggest a way to fix the problem?
my thoughts are:
  1. buy someone's original (unwanted) factory link arms and fit those as they are shorter and don't get in the way of the suspension.
  2. get the offending spring moved backwards a few mm to get it clear of the new larger and longer disconnectable arm
  3. buy an aftermarket sway bar with shorter arms that will pull the disconnects away from the suspension springs
  4. buy some other disconnects that are shorter (or longer) that don't get in the way of the suspension.

Not quite sure which one to go for, especially given the holiday season is going to make any purchase difficult to achive quickly.

FWIW, I have the Old Man Emu 2inch lift fitting, and the teraflex quick disconnet is meant to be the 0-3" of lift kit, but, i can not find any details about how long the arm is meant to be for that kit, so, i can not be certain that i haven't some how ended up with the 4-6" lift kit Quick disconnect part.

see pics at http://photobucket.com/MJOC
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-12-25_00001.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	34477  

Quick Reply: Tereflex Quick Disconnect Install