Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Third Row Seat Install - "Little Seats"

Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think these are some people's first Jeeps. I understand wanting to be safe (I have 3 kids of my own) but come on people, these are JEEPS! Most Jeep people at some point or another have driven an old beater CJ that was probably barely road worthy, many have hauled kids in them. If you want the safest possible vehicle or seating position for kids don't buy a real Jeep. Go get something with curtain airbags.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkrat
all good untill u u get rear ended don't mean to be aparty pooper but that is not where i would put little kids
This company has taken safety as a top priority and the seats have been tested and meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DudeAbides
I think these are some people's first Jeeps. I understand wanting to be safe (I have 3 kids of my own) but come on people, these are JEEPS! Most Jeep people at some point or another have driven an old beater CJ that was probably barely road worthy, many have hauled kids in them. If you want the safest possible vehicle or seating position for kids don't buy a real Jeep. Go get something with curtain airbags.
Have you ever been going down the road, standing up, hanging on the rollbar.........you might be a Jeeper!!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Do what u want i just think keeping kids safe is imporant i drive with no doors on my jeep side air bags wont help me i just don't like to see kids in the back like that if there is an impact they could be injured pretty bad even in a minr accident
Heres another thing that I look at. Have you ever looked at the room between the back seat of a minivan? How about a dodge durango? How about many of the small fuel efficient cars and hybrids? Their seats are inches to a foot or so away from the back end of the car. I know they have crumple zones, so does our JKs. They are very low to the ground, and if are hit by a semi or even a Tahoe, Suburbuan or truck, they are toast. My wifes Dodge Grand Caravan only has about 14 inches from the back seat to the door. A regular Dodge Caravan has about half that. The Jeep Commander's rear seats are very close. There is more space and more protection, roll bar (I know it is not tied into the frame, but it still offers a substantial amount of protection) in the Jeep, the Jeep sits higher than these compact cars, the Jeep is more rigid. The aftermarket seats have been tested and meet the standards. The company is in California and from my understanding, they have pretty strict DOT guidelines that they follow and if their was a danger issue, they would not pass.

So with my research that I have done, my observations of others, I would much rather be in the back of a JK and get rear ended than any of those small cars that I mentioned above. I would guess, no scientific data to support this, but my feeling is that the JK properly equipped with this system is just as safe as the minivan's I mentioned, the Commander, the Durango's, trailblazers and more safe than the small cars that are on the road, when you are looking at getting hit by something taller, like a semi.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Holy Cow
Also, what about a non-unlimited Jeep? No kids at all? Can't ride in the front, back seat is that close to the gate, so.....
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Holy Cow
I like beer.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Do what u want i just think keeping kids safe is imporant i drive with no doors on my jeep side air bags wont help me i just don't like to see kids in the back like that if there is an impact they could be injured pretty bad even in a minr accident
Maybe if you gave them helmets to wear? Risk is part of life, even for children. Besides those are approved for that use and as safe as anyone can reasonably desire. They could be injured pretty bad everytime they get in the jeep that doesn't mean they have to stay home swaddled in bubble wrap.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wallerdog
Maybe if you gave them helmets to wear? Risk is part of life, even for children. Besides those are approved for that use and as safe as anyone can reasonably desire. They could be injured pretty bad everytime they get in the jeep that doesn't mean they have to stay home swaddled in bubble wrap.
the seats are sturdy....and they rock.....some of the ney sayers well you have to see them in person.....i love my kids and faimly with all my heart.....i wouldnt want any thing to happen to them......i know accidents happen.......i also know i could blow a vein taking a poop and fall over dead.....so should i stop pooping.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is there any other vendors besides littleseats. I like the single option (Only need 1) with the folding seat option.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schmugboy
Is there any other vendors besides littleseats. I like the single option (Only need 1) with the folding seat option.
I looked all around & they were the only vendor I found.

I don't know if I understand. You only want one folding seat? That's exactly what they sell, one at a time. You also by their adapter if you want the seat to face sideways.

I will typically run with just the driver-side rear seat in, facing sideways. It will allow me to carry 4 kids (my two & two more) or let me lay down the right side for larger cargo.

Quick Reply: Third Row Seat Install - "Little Seats"