Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tie ROD, Drag Link & Ball Joints suggestion

Old 10-31-2016, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie ROD, Drag Link & Ball Joints suggestion

Death wobble issues and cant drive on high speed so planning on changing few things :

1) Tie Rod
2) Drag link
3) Ball joints

If anyone have setup like mine i.e. Rough country 3.5 inch lift kit what would shall be my recommendation for the listed items above ?

Items that i have searched for :

1) tie rod :Extreme Duty Steering Tie Rod | Jeep® JK Wrangler | eBay

2) Drag link : Extreme Duty High Steer Flipped Steering Drag Link | Jeep® JK Wrangler | eBay

3) Ball joints : https://www.amazon.com/Synergy-Manuf...ep+ball+joints

Any advice will be highly appreciated!! can someone also educate me on High steering set up + can that be done on my setup as my kit came with pitman arm ?

Note : i have already ordered adjustable track bar from RC but not installed yet and based on the advise i get i might return it as well
Old 10-31-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Junkie

Check out this (drag link)
http://steersmarts.com/
No drilling required of the factory knuckle.

Tie rod
SteerSmarts, Fusion, Synergy are popular

Ball joints
Dynatrac, Rareparts, Alloy, Crown HD
Old 11-01-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your pitman arm question, as it's relating to it sounds like you're running the drop pitman arm?

If you're considering installing a high steer setup, running a track bar bracket on the axles raise it while having a stock pitman arm and the drag link in a high steer configuration on the knuckle.

It sounds as if you're planning on running a high steer with a drop pitman arm. Not sure how many guys are running that setup or what the handling characteristics might be.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:40 AM
JK Junkie

Also I run synergy high steer and have their tie rod.

The route your going looks adequate and have heard good things about their products. The price is definitely lower than just about everything out there.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

what all was included/installed with that 3.5 inch kit? I had major death wobble until I dialed in my castor angle. I have the RK 2.5 kit. Once I got the LCA's to the correct length, all death wobble is gone. my tie rod is nearing the end of its life, but still no wobble. I only say this to make sure you are chasing the correct things.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:55 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Have you taken the time to go through your steering components to determine where the root cause lies before just throwing money at it? Problem components are pretty easy to diagnose. Planman's videos practically hold your hand through the process and should be one of the first hits when you search for death wobble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQwlmlhiF4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii81V7XYr-k I'm not saying don't upgrade components, but at least determine the root cause of the problem first. I'd imagine you have a loose bolt in the system somewhere......I'd start at the track bar.

Last edited by resharp001; 11-01-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Have you taken the time to go through your steering components to determine where the root cause lies before just throwing money at it? Problem components are pretty easy to diagnose. Planman's videos practically hold your hand through the process and should be one of the first hits when you search for death wobble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQwlmlhiF4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii81V7XYr-k I'm not saying don't upgrade components, but at least determine the root cause of the problem first. I'd imagine you have a loose bolt in the system somewhere......I'd start at the track bar.
Or maybe everything was torqued while the vehicle was in the air....
Old 11-04-2016, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
To answer your pitman arm question, as it's relating to it sounds like you're running the drop pitman arm?

If you're considering installing a high steer setup, running a track bar bracket on the axles raise it while having a stock pitman arm and the drag link in a high steer configuration on the knuckle.

It sounds as if you're planning on running a high steer with a drop pitman arm. Not sure how many guys are running that setup or what the handling characteristics might be.

this is exactly what my plan .. was seems like it wont be possible !!
Old 11-04-2016, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

The issue is i have taken to all the local jeep mechanics and every one have given me different stories !! today i git it check in north jersey and guess what he said its not ball joints it might be something with the caster angle :S ....

I have noticed my driver side tire angle is bit like this "/" and i belive that could be the issue .. i have seen these videos and tried everything ... but cant come up to conclusion

So on monday getting checked again ... every one blames the tires ... i dont get it how come artturo mt wheels can be the issue i have seen many people use it ... how can the tires have shimmy at high steer .

Thanks everyone for keep up with the responses ill keep everyone updated on whatever the next steps are !!
Old 12-06-2016, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

When I had death wobble I ended up replacing sway bar links, tie rod, drag link, steering stabilizer, u joints, front drive shaft, but in the end it was the ball joints that did it. Everything else was repairs from driving with DW for so long lol

Quick Reply: Tie ROD, Drag Link & Ball Joints suggestion