Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Full Control of Lockers and Swaybar Disco

Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full Control of Lockers and Swaybar Disco

This allows you to use the lockers in all transfer case positions and should allow the sway bar disconnect to operate as well. It will also allow the ESP to operate in all three modes. With this option the ECM will simply think the transfer case is always in 4 low.

Background: The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) provides sensor ground to the transfer case and many other components. This is on pin 28 of connector C1. The transfer case switch then returns a MODE SENSOR SIGNAL back to the TIPM on pin 3 of connector C1 (Yellow/Light Green). This signal varies in resistance as follows:

Operating Mode Versus Resistance SENSOR POSITION OPERATING MODE SENSOR RESISTANCE (ohms)

Position/mode/ohms

1/2H/1124-1243
2/4H/650-719
3/NEUTRAL/389-431
4/4L/199-221
5/NOT USED/57-64

During normal vehicle operation, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the transfer case position sensor return voltage to determine the operating mode of the transfer case. Refer to the Operating Mode Versus Resistance table for the correct resistance (1-6) for each position.

So if one simply connects this return signal to ground, which is the equivalent of 0 ohms, causes the TIPM to assume the transfer case is in 4 low. A good modification would be to install a SPDT switch to connect the signal return circuit through a 220 ohm resistor to ground.
Description of the Transfer Case Position Sensor from the Factory Service Manual:

The transfer case position sensor is an electronic device whose output can be interpreted to indicate the transfer case's current operating mode. The sensor consists of a five position, resistive multiplexed circuit which returns a specific resistance value to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for each transfer case operating mode. The sensor is located on the top of the transfer case, just left of the transfer case centerline and rides against the sector plate roostercomb. The PCM supplies 5VDC (+/- 0.5V) to the sensor and monitors the return voltage to determine the sector plate, and therefore the transfer case, position.

There are two wires going to this sensor. One is Yellow with a Light Green stripe and goes to pin 1 on the connector. This is the wire you want to connect to ground with a new switch. The other is Dark Blue with a Yellow stripe and goes to pin 2 on the connector. This wire should show +5 volts with the ignition turned on.

TIPM location: The TIPM is located in a plastic box directly in front of the battery. See illustration.

This modification will still cause the lockers and sway bar to return to normal mode after reaching speeds greater than 18 mph.

Consideration: The problem with the above method is that the following things act different in 4 low: Speedometer, ABS, transmission shifting, throttle pedal gain (sensitivity), target engine idle plus a few others. There are tell-tales that were designed to detect a malfunctioning transfer case range selector. If you do this, the FCM and I believe CCN will set a DTC. Your dealer WILL be able to see it when you service the Jeep. Probably bad for your warranty.

Consideration: Some have reported doing this mod with no problems and no codes even after a dealer visit.

Most sources say the above method is most reliable and least invasive.

Total Locker Control - This allows complete control over each locker independently. It is a simple modification as well. It is reported that the locker indicators on the dash will simply blink whenever you use this modification. The computer may also set a trouble code but this has not been confirmed. This modification is based on this wiring diagram:

To control the rear locker you simply need to ground pin 42 of C1 from the TIPM (violet/light green). To control the front locker you simply need to ground pin 41 of C1 from the TIPM (violet/dark blue).

Like in the other above method the FCM monitors it's locker relay output for any unspecified draw or source. The FCM will set a DTC or a tell-tale in this event as well. Your dealer WILL be able to see it when you service the Jeep. Probably bad for your warranty.

Consideration: This method may not be subject to the 18 mph speed limit. Locker operation will continue until switched off.

Consideration: There may be problems with the lockers on and the ESP system in full effect. The ESP monitors steering position, wheel speed, etc. When you would make a corner with the rear locker on both wheels will maintain the same speed. The ESP may misinterpret this as a wheel with loss of traction and cause the system to try to compensate using throttle control and ABS.

Disclaimer - All information and images belong to jeepfan.com
I did this on my own accord and any copyrights belong to jeepfan.com
Jk-forum.com is not affiliated with jeepfan.com and vice versa
Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone done this? Does the locker stay engaged until you reach 18mph?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't get it. I think the Jeep is smart enough on it's own.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

After looking at this I see some problems. Power is constantly provided through A104 to the relays two input positions and relies on a switched ground to turn on and off. So by grounding out the G305 wire leading into the relay it would cause the relay to constantly stay energized. The way the system works in stock form is that the Integrated Power Module interprets both the transfer case position and the switch to provide a ground to the relays. You can still bypass the Integrated Power Module to get your lockers to work any time you want though. On position 2 of the switches should be a constant ground, (Check this with a multimeter to make sure.) Take the wires leading from each individual side of the switch, and tie it into it's respective relay. So that wire T522 ties into G304, and wire T527 ties into G305. This will allow you to 100% bypass the TIPM and allow you to use your lockers whenever you need to. This does not allow the use of the swaybar disco, but that can be setup in similiar fashion. If needed I could do up a diagram to show what I am talking about.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Freak

If it's not too much trouble I would like to see a diagram.
For the kind of wheeling I do I would like to use my lockers and 4.10's in low range is tooooo slow!!! thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Choppus
For the kind of wheeling I do I would like to use my lockers and 4.10's in low range is tooooo slow!!! thanks

I would also like to see a diagram. I like the idea of total control... although i probably don't "need" it.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

I probably don't need it either. But total control is awesome. I might actually use it, because there are times in the winter when I'm wheeling that I keep it in high range to keep my speed up in the snow. The low range in the Rubicon is to slow for that. So I think it would really come in handy to have the ability to lock the lockers in high range.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
This allows you to use the lockers in all transfer case positions and should allow the sway bar disconnect to operate as well. It will also allow the ESP to operate in all three modes. With this option the ECM will simply think the transfer case is always in 4 low.

Background: The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) provides sensor ground to the transfer case and many other components. This is on pin 28 of connector C1. The transfer case switch then returns a MODE SENSOR SIGNAL back to the TIPM on pin 3 of connector C1 (Yellow/Light Green). This signal varies in resistance as follows:

Operating Mode Versus Resistance SENSOR POSITION OPERATING MODE SENSOR RESISTANCE (ohms)

Position/mode/ohms

1/2H/1124-1243
2/4H/650-719
3/NEUTRAL/389-431
4/4L/199-221
5/NOT USED/57-64

During normal vehicle operation, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the transfer case position sensor return voltage to determine the operating mode of the transfer case. Refer to the Operating Mode Versus Resistance table for the correct resistance (1-6) for each position.

So if one simply connects this return signal to ground, which is the equivalent of 0 ohms, causes the TIPM to assume the transfer case is in 4 low. A good modification would be to install a SPDT switch to connect the signal return circuit through a 220 ohm resistor to ground.
Description of the Transfer Case Position Sensor from the Factory Service Manual:

The transfer case position sensor is an electronic device whose output can be interpreted to indicate the transfer case's current operating mode. The sensor consists of a five position, resistive multiplexed circuit which returns a specific resistance value to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for each transfer case operating mode. The sensor is located on the top of the transfer case, just left of the transfer case centerline and rides against the sector plate roostercomb. The PCM supplies 5VDC (+/- 0.5V) to the sensor and monitors the return voltage to determine the sector plate, and therefore the transfer case, position.

There are two wires going to this sensor. One is Yellow with a Light Green stripe and goes to pin 1 on the connector. This is the wire you want to connect to ground with a new switch. The other is Dark Blue with a Yellow stripe and goes to pin 2 on the connector. This wire should show +5 volts with the ignition turned on.

TIPM location: The TIPM is located in a plastic box directly in front of the battery. See illustration.

This modification will still cause the lockers and sway bar to return to normal mode after reaching speeds greater than 18 mph.

Consideration: The problem with the above method is that the following things act different in 4 low: Speedometer, ABS, transmission shifting, throttle pedal gain (sensitivity), target engine idle plus a few others. There are tell-tales that were designed to detect a malfunctioning transfer case range selector. If you do this, the FCM and I believe CCN will set a DTC. Your dealer WILL be able to see it when you service the Jeep. Probably bad for your warranty.

Consideration: Some have reported doing this mod with no problems and no codes even after a dealer visit.

Most sources say the above method is most reliable and least invasive.

Total Locker Control - This allows complete control over each locker independently. It is a simple modification as well. It is reported that the locker indicators on the dash will simply blink whenever you use this modification. The computer may also set a trouble code but this has not been confirmed. This modification is based on this wiring diagram:

To control the rear locker you simply need to ground pin 42 of C1 from the TIPM (violet/light green). To control the front locker you simply need to ground pin 41 of C1 from the TIPM (violet/dark blue).

Like in the other above method the FCM monitors it's locker relay output for any unspecified draw or source. The FCM will set a DTC or a tell-tale in this event as well. Your dealer WILL be able to see it when you service the Jeep. Probably bad for your warranty.

Consideration: This method may not be subject to the 18 mph speed limit. Locker operation will continue until switched off.

Consideration: There may be problems with the lockers on and the ESP system in full effect. The ESP monitors steering position, wheel speed, etc. When you would make a corner with the rear locker on both wheels will maintain the same speed. The ESP may misinterpret this as a wheel with loss of traction and cause the system to try to compensate using throttle control and ABS.

Disclaimer - All information and images belong to jeepfan.com
I did this on my own accord and any copyrights belong to jeepfan.com
Jk-forum.com is not affiliated with jeepfan.com and vice versa
Okay, now my head hurts!!!

Thanks for the info, I will definitely have to study this.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Choppus
I'll do up a modified diagram with PS and post it later in the week.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 PM
JK Freak

Great I can't wait!!!

Quick Reply: Full Control of Lockers and Swaybar Disco