Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Under-Floor Storage

Old 05-19-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Sliding the front seats all the way forward will allow the two headrests to go flat, too. Plenty of room to lay out a sleeping bag, or an inflatable mattress.
So the rear seats won't fold flat with the front seats in driving/riding position?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GaMtnJk
So the rear seats won't fold flat with the front seats in driving/riding position?
The rear seats will fold as flat as they ever get, even with the front seats in their driving positions. The "flat floor picture" was taken without moving the front seats. Notice the headrests, on the rear seat-backs, are sticking up. Not really a problem. If the headrests need to be down for some reason, the front seats have to be slid forward.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The rear seats will fold as flat as they ever get, even with the front seats in their driving positions. The "flat floor picture" was taken without moving the front seats. Notice the headrests, on the rear seat-backs, are sticking up. Not really a problem. If the headrests need to be down for some reason, the front seats have to be slid forward.
Okay, gotcha. I really want to do this now!!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Great idea and it looks OEM quality. I love the fold flat extensions - my dog is always getting caught in the gap behind the seats and this would totally solve that issue.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fantastic job! This is by far one of the best home-made mods i've seen yet. I've been trying to find a way to get the back to be completly flat for the dog i just adopted (and to cover the gaps in the rear seats when folded down) and not only that, but this even adds the much needed extra storage. Cant wait to do this myself

Anyway you can post the dimensions of the Plywood you used too?

Edit: Also does the plywood cover the box perfectly or if there a lip hanging over?
sorry for the questions, I suck at building stuff like this

Last edited by Croce; 05-20-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that is what I call thinkin outside the box.
Sorry, couldnt help myself.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Jedi

Very cool and very practical. You could throw an air mattress on that and have a nice little sleeping spot in a pinch.

Last edited by Sharkey; 05-20-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Croce
Fantastic job! This is by far one of the best home-made mods i've seen yet. I've been trying to find a way to get the back to be completly flat for the dog i just adopted (and to cover the gaps in the rear seats when folded down) and not only that, but this even adds the much needed extra storage. Cant wait to do this myself

Anyway you can post the dimensions of the Plywood you used too?

Edit: Also does the plywood cover the box perfectly or if there a lip hanging over?
sorry for the questions, I suck at building stuff like this
The cover is pretty close to the same dimensions as the frame. The carpet extends beyond the sides of the cover, then folds back under the cover, to form a flexible edge where it meets the wheel wells. This ensures a good fit with no binding on the sides. It also allows access to the space along side the box for storing small items out of site.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice, Very nice
Another page bookmarked along with all the other great Ideas from this forum, I just gotta start doing all these mods, and the kicker is that they are all super cheap to do
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So im building one now out of wood as i have no idea how to work with metal. I cant seem to find the carpet anywhere that matches the stock carpet.. I checked a few home depots. Can you tell me where you got yours from?

Quick Reply: Under-Floor Storage