Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Under-Floor Storage

Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you guys securing these to the floor?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Captfranny
See Post 239 and 240. I used 4 of the factory tie down points, they are threaded 6-1.0.

Last edited by JCDriller; 08-10-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you
Old 08-28-2015, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captfranny
This is my first post in the thread, and your "secure to the floor" question provided the perfect opportunity. Up until now I've just been lurking here...

For my floor storage I wanted something that could be removed. I want a full length lock box that I could secure a couple of firearms in during hunting season, but still be able to take the locker out and reinstall my back seat on occasion. Here's what I came up with:
Pardon my initial sketch. I literally freehanded this on the back of a Williams-Sonoma receipt about 10 minutes ago... I have no excuse for that footman loop in the top right to be laying flat according to my failed isometric view.
Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	623031

The construction will be steel at first (after we get everything right we'll switch to aluminum which is the ideal material but too expensive to experiment with), laser cut and folded on the break, then welded/riveted together. I think I did alright at showing that. Three top doors, each fixed where you see I've written "hinge." There are no dimensions yet because I'm still waiting for my jeep to get delivered after the transatlantic move, so right now everything is notional. I have some friends coming over tomorrow to allow me to take measurements of their cargo area. Original plans for the 2-door, but I'd be willing to do the diligence if there are any unlimited owners who like the idea. Ideally, once we perfect the plan, I can contact our metal shop and they can stamp it out of whatever material you want and send it you. The seams and accessories will have to be welded and riveted on your own (to keep it cheap). I'm only creating the kit. Powder coat may be an option, but I'm also considering carpet...

Now, on to the securing to the floor part. I plan to rivet in four footman loops to my tub parallel to the wheel wells. Then I'll rivet in four simple latches inside the box. I'll be able to open the box, unlatch it, remove the whole thing anytime I want. When the box is locked the latches are not accessible and it is secured to the floor. The reason I haven't actually sketched in the latch just yet is because I haven't begun looking for th right one. Part of the reason I'm here now. Looking for suggestions...

1) anyone have a better idea for a temporary fastener to the tub?
2) My lid positioning. Three doors, all secured with a latch (probably push button, but need something flush or close to). Originally I was going to do two parallel full length lids that either lifted up with hinge points at the front (near the driver/passenger seats) or along the wheel wells. Then I decided I wanted the firearm storage hinged at the front, and the generic storage hinged along the sides. The idea is that I can shift my hunting gear around to open the door I need vs having to completely empty the back to lift the lid. I am considering putting all the lids parallel, so opening toward the tailgate. Haven't decided yet. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them!
3) The shotgun wells. I want at least two, maybe three. The idea is that you'll be able to put your soft case in the well, and then slide your shotgun in and out of the case between hunts. Same for rifles. That way I don't have to permanently pad the wells (my original thought) and I can use them for generic storage in the off season if I haven't reinstalled my seats. During bow season they'll hold arrows and limb cutters. During the 4-wheel season I'll probably put my extra synthetic winch line, tow straps, and tree savers in there.

Sorry for the crude sketch. Once it's cut out of aluminum it'll look really slick. I'm headed down to Texas to retrive my jeep in a week or two, at which point I'll head out to see my dad and hopefully stamp out the first prototype. So if you have ideas, suggestions, criticisms, etc... please let me know soon! I have no estimate on cost right now, that's going to be the other part of the visit. If anything I may have to reduce it down to two sections and two doors or just stick with steel the whole way and abandon the aluminum idea. There are pros/cons to each material.

Thanks guys! I hope this works!!!

Adding this now. What I've been looking for is a draw latch, seen here:
Click image for larger version

Name:	draw latch.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	623032
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	box.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	623030  

Last edited by Wildschwein; 08-29-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

All Done.

Top access down into lower storage area when the drawer is pulled out.

The following users liked this post:
Alextorello (08-22-2018)
Old 09-30-2015, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCDriller
Icing on the cake, went and picked up a bottle opener from my favorite brewery this afternoon.

Addie modeling the set up.
Great work on that whole box! I may have to built a "Expedition" box similar to that for camping trips that I can change out with my existing flat floor.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:09 AM
JK Newbie

Default Underfloor storage

Great job, that looks terrific!
Old 01-31-2016, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has anything new out there.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I guess I'm up

Well, I recalled reading this thread a few years ago, right about the time of the first post. Anyways, I'm finally about to start drawing this all up. I'm planning to take all my measurements, then model the complete deal in a 3D cad program before I actually build. My build of this has to have a few key features:

1. I will be putting a small air tank in the factory recessed area, using the original "flap door" as my access panel to the tank.
2. The compressor for my "homemade" OBA setup will be stored in front of the sub on the right with an intake filter ran up the roll cage.
3. The left side, I'm planning to put a full length drawer for tools using DIN rail and skateboard bearings.
4. In front of the OBA tank, I will have another compartment with hinges to store spare fluids and such. I'll line this with vinyl to seal it up tight and keep any leaky fluids at bay.

Once I start mocking it up in 3D I'll post some pictures and such. I'm planning to use the factory carpet to get it a "factory" look. I should start modeling it up this weekend and will post up as I go. I only get maybe a half a day each week as free time so this could take awhile.

Last edited by TipsEZ; 02-05-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TipsEZ
Well, I recalled reading this thread a few years ago, right about the time of the first post. Anyways, I'm finally about to start drawing this all up. I'm planning to take all my measurements, then model the complete deal in a 3D cad program before I actually build. My build of this has to have a few key features:

1. I will be putting a small air tank in the factory recessed area, using the original "flap door" as my access panel to the tank.
2. The compressor for my "homemade" OBA setup will be stored in front of the sub on the right with an intake filter ran up the roll cage.
3. The left side, I'm planning to put a full length drawer for tools using DIN rail and skateboard bearings.
4. In front of the OBA tank, I will have another compartment with hinges to store spare fluids and such. I'll line this with vinyl to seal it up tight and keep any leaky fluids at bay.

Once I start mocking it up in 3D I'll post some pictures and such. I'm planning to use the factory carpet to get it a "factory" look. I should start modeling it up this weekend and will post up as I go. I only get maybe a half a day each week as free time so this could take awhile.
Any updates?

I finished my fridge slide a few weeks ago, figured I drop this here:

Quick Reply: Under-Floor Storage