Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Unlimited trunk security - $55 and 2 hours

Old 07-19-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlimited trunk security - $55 and 2 hours

I have an Unlimited with soft top, factory half doors, and subwoofer. I looked at all the available trunk security solutions and none of them fit my needs. I don't want to relocate the subwoofer and I want security for the entire back area. My primary reason for the trunk is storing my Bestop Superdoors (front set) and the uppers for my rear doors. Here's the solution I came up with. All the parts are available at Home Depot and it took me about two hours. No drilling is required, you just mount to the tub through existing holes around the rim.

Parts list:
2 x 6-ft zinc-coated angle bracket
1 x 6-ft zinc-coated flat bracket
1 x 4-ft zinc-coated flat bracket
10 x 5/16"-3/4" hex bolts
14 x 5/16" hex nuts
16 x 5/16" fender washers
4 x 5/16" cut washers
8 x 5/16" neoprene washers
2 x 12" 5/16" threaded rod
2 x 5/16" lock washers
Total price was around $55

Tools:
Hacksaw
Wrench and ratchet for tightening bolts

Here are the pictures. Build and assembly is pretty self-explanatory.

View from the back:

From the back with tailgate closed:

From the side looking toward the tailgate:

Attach point to the tub behind rear seat on driver's side. I used the hacksaw to remove enough of the angle bracket so it would sit flush with the angle pointing down. I also used the neoprene washers to protect the paint above and below:

Attach point near the tailgate on the passenger's side. The full-size fender washers shown here will not fit under the rim of the tub on the bottom, so use the smaller cut washers:

The 12" threaded rods behind the rear seats:

Shot of the intersection point and threaded rod:

5/16"-3/4" hex bolt, 5/16" hex nut, 5/16" fender washer, 5/16" cut washer:

Notes:
- This won't stop a dedicated thief, but then again most of the commercial products won't either. It will deter casual crackheads looking to break in to grab whatever they can sell.
- This biggest reason I chose to mount the angle brackets flush with the top of the tub is because I usually run with the Bestop Duster over the back. With my setup the duster can still be used. If this isn't a concern for you, the angle brackets could be mounted "up" which would require even less cutting - just cut to the proper lengths and bolt on.
- It is not shown in the pictures, but the rear seats back right up to the bracket perfectly. No stress to the seats or structure, but no gap either.
- The structure isn't capable of bearing weight. The angle brackets are very sturdy but the flat brackets are not. If you used angle brackets for all of it, I think it could handle a decent amount of weight.
- There is an additional mount point that I didn't use shown below. You could add another angle bracket here to make the structure even stronger and more secure. Since I will be storing large door sections, it was not needed on mine:

- You could easily cover the structure with fabric or something to prevent thieves from being able to reach in, and allow for storage of smaller items. Here is one idea:

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions.

Last edited by Super Carp; 07-21-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking I'd do something similar - hadn't thought of mesh though... I was thinking solid sheet but I think I like the mesh better.

Looks like meccano. Love it!

Jamie
Old 07-19-2009, 05:06 PM
bkw
JK Freak

What are the two 12" threaded bolts for?

Got any 'after' pictures? Curious what you used and how you got around the seatbelt and roll bar.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Newbie

Cool never thouhgt of the expanded metal .Mine dosent have the sub so I just closed mine in. Even with seats down passersby cannot see inside.And a place for jack .

Old 07-19-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bkw
What are the two 12" threaded bolts for?

Got any 'after' pictures? Curious what you used and how you got around the seatbelt and roll bar.
The threaded bolts are so when the rear seats are folded down, my door sections can't be pulled out. With the tailgate locked and the threaded bolts in place, you'd have to disassemble the structure to get at my doors.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Dewayne,

Replace those bolts on the rail with eyebolts and you have a way to strap things onto the top of your cargo cover.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Sharp, leave it to a jeeper
Old 10-15-2010, 03:07 AM
JK Freak

Wow, Looks good. Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default Very nice

Very nice. I'm saving this for my to do list.
Thanks
Old 10-17-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

That's a great mod. I have a female friend jeeper who has a soft top...I may have to mention this to her. But then again I will probably be stuck helping.

Eh, I like modding so it's not really "stuck".

Quick Reply: Unlimited trunk security - $55 and 2 hours