Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Upgrade Climate Controls to Auto AC and Heat

Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well... I put this project to rest for a bit while I tackled others. But now I'm back to it. Turns out that you can't just buy the wiring connector pins for the control unit or the sun sensor from Chrysler. And they don't list the connector for the cabin air temperature sensor AT ALL. BUT... A little digging and I found out that the sun sensor plug and the cabin air temperature plug are nearly identical. Close enough that I can use an extra sun sensor plug for the cabin air temperature. But since I can't just buy the pins to add the two needed for the sun sensor, I ended up having to buy two complete plugs. The part # for those is 68080566AA and I was able to find them online delivered for about $46.00 for the pair. I haven't been able to find a control head plug that I can steal three pins out of so I have a junkyard trip on the schedule.

So what I though would be about a $100.00 job is now up to a $230.00 job. And I still haven't dealt with a junkyard for the control unit plug.

More to follow...

Tom
Old 08-08-2014, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Tom, hit up my build thread. I did a very detailed write up of the install including all the part numbers you need, pin outs, etc. The link is in my signature. Let me know if there are any other questions.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Nevermind! I just noticed you sent me a PM so you found my write up!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

And KevinMac saves the day!

He's sending me some pins from a head-unit plug he scored for his own conversion. This project should be wrapped up this week now.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Finally!!!

I've spent the past several weeks preparing to move into a new house and sell my existing house so all extraneous projects have been put on hold. But this morning I finally made the time to put the ATC together. It was so easy and took less than an hour. Splice three wires into the HVAC harness and plug in three more wires. Run the wires to the new cabin air temperature sensor and sun sensor. Put it all back together and everything works great! Now I can stop whining about having to screw with the HVAC controls all of the time.

And thanks to KevinMac for sliding me three connector pins, thus saving me a junkyard trip.

Tom
Old 10-28-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Compatibility Question

Hey, was just wondering if any engineers on the Wrangler, or Chrysler vehicles in general are out there, or just any forum members who may know, is the only ATC control module that is compatible is the one specifically meant for the Wrangler? Or are some of the other Chrysler vehicles controls compatible too?

I have done some digging and found that the Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger are very similar to the interior parts from the Jeep, such as the same light stalk, same A/C and heater blend door motor, etc. and I found that the climate control module appears to be extremely similar...if not the same! The knobs fit properly, the shape of the module seems to match, some of the flip the defrost and circulate air buttons, so I made sure I was looking at some that match what I have in my '11 Wrangler Sport S, but the part number is in fact different. The part numbers I have been coming across most that appear as though they would match are: [h=2]55111888AA, 55111888AB, 55111888AC, 55111888AD[/h]
Is there a reason for the different part number, other than just a different vehicle in a different plant? Or are there wiring changes where the connector pins would not be connected to what they are supposed to be when plugged in? I haven't been able to find other wiring diagrams for the Avenger/Sebring to line up/check with the wiring diagrams that others have found for the Wrangler to see if the HVAC connector doe sin fact match, or if there are differences? Because I can get a much better deal if one of these from a different donor vehicle whould work, as opposed to finding one from a Wrangler to work.

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WxNerd2015
Hey, was just wondering if any engineers on the Wrangler, or Chrysler vehicles in general are out there, or just any forum members who may know, is the only ATC control module that is compatible is the one specifically meant for the Wrangler? Or are some of the other Chrysler vehicles controls compatible too?

I have done some digging and found that the Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger are very similar to the interior parts from the Jeep, such as the same light stalk, same A/C and heater blend door motor, etc. and I found that the climate control module appears to be extremely similar...if not the same! The knobs fit properly, the shape of the module seems to match, some of the flip the defrost and circulate air buttons, so I made sure I was looking at some that match what I have in my '11 Wrangler Sport S, but the part number is in fact different. The part numbers I have been coming across most that appear as though they would match are: 55111888AA, 55111888AB, 55111888AC, 55111888AD

Is there a reason for the different part number, other than just a different vehicle in a different plant? Or are there wiring changes where the connector pins would not be connected to what they are supposed to be when plugged in? I haven't been able to find other wiring diagrams for the Avenger/Sebring to line up/check with the wiring diagrams that others have found for the Wrangler to see if the HVAC connector doe sin fact match, or if there are differences? Because I can get a much better deal if one of these from a different donor vehicle whould work, as opposed to finding one from a Wrangler to work.

Thanks!
Sorry to quote myself, but came across some more research...I believe the modules are BUS specific, just like the radios, since they do run through that! That means that I need to find a high speed BUS compatible module I am assuming for this to work! Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added the ATC system to my Jeep Wrangler, and I have to say Thanks to Kevin for the write up. Super simple to install and works like a champ!

Last edited by pnewman97; 02-28-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WxNerd2015
Hey, was just wondering if any engineers on the Wrangler, or Chrysler vehicles in general are out there, or just any forum members who may know, is the only ATC control module that is compatible is the one specifically meant for the Wrangler? Or are some of the other Chrysler vehicles controls compatible too? I have done some digging and found that the Chrysler Sebring/Dodge Avenger are very similar to the interior parts from the Jeep, such as the same light stalk, same A/C and heater blend door motor, etc. and I found that the climate control module appears to be extremely similar...if not the same! The knobs fit properly, the shape of the module seems to match, some of the flip the defrost and circulate air buttons, so I made sure I was looking at some that match what I have in my '11 Wrangler Sport S, but the part number is in fact different. The part numbers I have been coming across most that appear as though they would match are: [h=2]55111888AA, 55111888AB, 55111888AC, 55111888AD[/h] Is there a reason for the different part number, other than just a different vehicle in a different plant? Or are there wiring changes where the connector pins would not be connected to what they are supposed to be when plugged in? I haven't been able to find other wiring diagrams for the Avenger/Sebring to line up/check with the wiring diagrams that others have found for the Wrangler to see if the HVAC connector doe sin fact match, or if there are differences? Because I can get a much better deal if one of these from a different donor vehicle whould work, as opposed to finding one from a Wrangler to work. Thanks!
As I understand all those parts are the same. The letters at the end denote a revision. I beleive that changes in just the last letter denote something changed but compability remains. It could be only different part manufacturer.
Perhaps someone will educate us both if I'm wrong.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pnewman97
I just added the ATC system to my Jeep Wrangler, and I have to say Thanks to Kevin for the write up. Super simple to install and works like a champ!
What model and year jeep did you add it too?? Head unit only or some sensors as well? Thanks

Quick Reply: Upgrade Climate Controls to Auto AC and Heat