Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Upgrade Climate Controls to Auto AC and Heat

Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redman, you are correct, the 70th Anniv. Edition is very similar to a Sahara. Basically a higher end trim package. Leather Seats, Berber floor mats, polished aluminum wheels and special badging.

I believe this may not work in a sport, I think you have to have automatic headlights and possibly remote start. My guess is the sensor for the automatic lights might also be used by the auto temp control.

Originally Posted by Redman333
Has anyone tried this on a sport. I'm assuming yours is equivalent to a Sahara model right. Which this is an option for those but I don't think it's even an option on the sport models.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattro
Redman, you are correct, the 70th Anniv. Edition is very similar to a Sahara. Basically a higher end trim package. Leather Seats, Berber floor mats, polished aluminum wheels and special badging.

I believe this may not work in a sport, I think you have to have automatic headlights and possibly remote start. My guess is the sensor for the automatic lights might also be used by the auto temp control.
What would remote start have to do with this? I had the ATC in my 2011 which had a manual transmission, no remote start.

It is one of the things I miss in my 2012.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

After reviewing the links I posted about the sensors, remote start probably doesn't have anything to do with it. The links all mention auto head lamps, but none reference remote start.

I thought it might because if you use remote start the a/c and heat has a tendency to run on its own right after starting then goes to normal after a bit.

Originally Posted by eric262

What would remote start have to do with this? I had the ATC in my 2011 which had a manual transmission, no remote start.

It is one of the things I miss in my 2012.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

After reviewing the links I posted about the sensors, remote start probably doesn't have anything to do with it. The links all mention auto head lamps, but none reference remote start.

I thought it might because if you use remote start the a/c and heat has a tendency to run on its own right after starting then goes to normal after a bit.
So then in your opinion what other sensors do you need for this to work correctly? Just the auto headlamps feature?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

I believe this to be the case, but I'm no expert. It worked for me.

Here is what I posted about sensors in my post in the Stock JK section. It is where I found out about the Auto headlamps requirement. Luckily I has to order none of them as mine is working well so far. (only been on 2 ten minute drives, the pain of living in a metropolis)
I put my Jeep description into Mopar parts Overstock's website and it gave me a list of all the AC Control parts.
Link

I came up with the following that I believe may be necessary to make this work:

My Guess as to the sensor that is currently installed:
Stock Code 55111276AA

My guess as to what is needed.
SENSOR. Temperature Cabin Air.
Stock Code 55111178AC
Price: $28
Description: SENSOR. Temperature Cabin Air. . "Instrument Panel Parts Module"+"Air Conditioning w/Auto Temp Control". Required: 001

SENSOR. Sun.
Stock Code 55111274AA
Price: $11.41
Description: SENSOR. Sun. [HAB]. . "Instrument Panel Parts Module"+"Air Conditioning w/Auto Temp Control"-"Automatic Headlamps". Required: 001

SENSOR. A.T.C. Sun, Sun.

Stock Code 55111275AA
Price 13.86
Description: SENSOR. Sun. [HAB],[LMG]. . "Instrument Panel Parts Module"+"Air Conditioning w/Auto Temp Control"+"Automatic Headlamps". Required: 001

Now I'm getting concerned with where all these sensors will go. Wish I could get a technical service manual :(
So then in your opinion what other sensors do you need for this to work correctly? Just the auto headlamps feature?
The following users liked this post:
Phibbs87 (05-20-2023)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I believe this to be the case, but I'm no expert. It worked for me.

Here is what I posted about sensors in my post in the Stock JK section. It is where I found out about the Auto headlamps requirement. Luckily I has to order none of them as mine is working well so far. (only been on 2 ten minute drives, the pain of living in a metropolis)
Looks like you would need the cabin temp sensor 55111178AC. Don't know how it could be working if you don't have that. Unless it's somehow integrated into the ATC module?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Or if it's already in place, and used for something else.

I've found it very difficult to obtain any definitive info about this. So far it appears to be working OK, but I've only been in the car for 10 minutes since my initial test.

Looks like you would need the cabin temp sensor 55111178AC. Don't know how it could be working if you don't have that. Unless it's somehow integrated into the ATC module?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

keep us updated on how it works
Old 06-08-2012, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

If you do get someone to swap, let us know how it works in your sport.

Originally Posted by nucknphuts
I want to swap out my manual controls for automatic ones on my 2011 2Dr, still want to trade?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Any updates on your experience with the conversion? Find that you do indeed have the necessary sensors as you mentioned?

Quick Reply: Upgrade Climate Controls to Auto AC and Heat