Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Upgrade stock fog lights with Pilot PL360C

Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromehead
Did this mod on a 2014 JKU today splicing into the stock wires, but it appears the canbus (which I am not even really sure what it is) will not allow them to operate properly. Sometimes one will come on, sometimes the other or sometimes both. Once you switch to high beam and back to low they are sporadic if they will come back on or not. They also flash several times to even come on at all when they do.

The connections are all tight, so it not that.

Any changes to the 2014 wiring system that anyone is aware of that might affect these working properly?

Anyone have a suggestion on how to get them to work properly??
I have a 2014 too, curious if anyone has any experience with this? or maybe 2013?

Just found this note while looking for some LED Fog Light Bulbs:

"Please Note: Since the LED bulbs have lower wattage than stock 55W halogen bulbs, therefore when installing on some newer cars, you might need to add load resistors or special wiring harness to ensure the proper function."

May have the same issues, not enough load for the CANBUS

Last edited by rgwinn; 11-27-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

I installed these on my 2013 recently and spliced the leads into the factory wires behind the factory terminations because I didn't want to cut off the factory plugs. They work just fine with my stalk switch for the fogs. Just don't pull a boner like I did...I brought home the first set, got one installed and turned it on, then heard a loud "POP". Thought, "Uh-oh, that did NOT sound good". After a brief investigation I slapped my palm to my forehead, realizing that I wired the new lights after the diodes instead of before. Went back to the store and returned the first set, then after reinstalling the new ones, they work great!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Not sure why these will not work at all with my 2014 then?

I went ahead and decided to run the harness with a relay that came with the Pilot lights and tried using one of the stock fog light positive wires to power the relay to turn them on. This worked, other than the relay sits and chatters/buzzes really loudly, only when the Jeep is started and running and the fogs are turned on. so somehow the charging system is feeding back through the relay it seems.

Long story short, I gave up and have now ordered a set of JW Speaker 6145 LED fog lights. At the price of them, I sure hope they will work with a 2014.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott2373
... after reinstalling the new ones, they work great!
Wanted to get an update from you on these are working out. Any buzzing, and melting, etc. TIA

I have a 2014 and am concerned with CANBUS interaction if replacing the stock lamps.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

great write-up - thanks for sharing!
Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

I just tried this on my JKU 2007, and like the fellow with the 2014, the new lights will either blink or simply not turn on.

Anybody have some input as to how this problem can be solved?

Cheers
Old 05-15-2015, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Update, problem solved. Changing the H3 55w bulbs that came with the PL360C housing to H3 35w bulbs (commonly found in motorcycle shops) solved the problem. I guess the Canbus can handle anything equal or below the stock 42w fog bulbs, but anything over is pulling too many amps for its liking.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes sense, glad to ear.

Quick Reply: Upgrade stock fog lights with Pilot PL360C