Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Using a wire rack for overhead storage and fastening

Old 03-04-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a wire rack for overhead storage and fastening

There's a guy on ebay that sells great quality steel Molle stuff for jeeps. I've bought some of this stuff and had my eye on an overhead rack he makes.

However I really want a LOT of attachment area so I'm considering buying the Black Epoxy Coated Deluxe Grid Panel for Retail Display 2' x 4' Priced 3 Per Carton from Amazon for $52 delivered.

I measured the width of the Wrangler and see 3 areas where I can span this by securing to the roll bar padding.

This gives me aaaaallll that space to attach stuff, cables, electronics etc and maybe even my CB.

I already have tons of velcro, so my thoughts are to just use plastic wire ties and velcro to secure so it can't slide or bounce or rattle.

Thoughts?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't help but think that no matter how you secure this, and secure things to it, this will rattle like crazy.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yup, I would need to super secure everything for sure or it will come tumbling down in the mountains.

I wouldn't want it to touch anything other than the roll bar pads and the stuff I attach to it needs to be cinched down tight.

Hey if you know some good wheelin and camping spots North of you, feel free to pass it on. When I head N I usually go to Canada.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I usually go to Walker Valley, right near Big Lake. There's also all kind of old forest service roads along the Mountain Loop Highway that lend themselves to a good time.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for that, I'm not overly familiar with anything North, but I love to primitive camp away from the state parks and camp grounds. I went out of Darrington one night, intend to go back and see how far back I can get.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Do you have a link or pictures of it so we can see what it looks like?
Old 01-17-2015, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

I actually did this project with some MOLLE fabric panels, plasti-dip, plexiglass, and some zip ties. I'll post pics soon.

Quick Reply: Using a wire rack for overhead storage and fastening