Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

VDP Stubby Bumper Conversion

Old 01-23-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think I'm going to try this one out this weekend. Thanks for the info on how to.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Those bumper caps look amazing! I wish they had them out before I wrecked my front bumper getting rear ended. But now insurance paid for a RR XHD winch mount bumper
Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racin444
Those bumper caps look amazing! I wish they had them out before I wrecked my front bumper getting rear ended. But now insurance paid for a RR XHD winch mount bumper
How do you wreck your front bumper getting rear ended unless your the one doing the rear ending?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

I always wanted to do a stock stubby bumper on my '07, but never had the confidence to make it look nice. So now that I have my new '11 Rubicon (6 weeks old), and the VDP end caps are available, I decided to go for it.

BEFORE:

AFTER (w/ PIAA lights added as well):

The color was a very close match, with the VDP caps beining just little shinier. So I put some 303 Protectant on the stock plastic, and it now looks like a match.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

That looks nice! I really like those lights on there
Old 02-14-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rusman161
That looks nice! I really like those lights on there
Thanks! And thanks for doing the write-up when you did yours. It was your original posting that made me decide to go forward with it.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, that means a lot. I'm glad I could
Help.

I'm kind of thinking about making the stubby even shorter. I'm planning on cutting the end caps right where the holes are and cutting the same amount off the outer edge of the bumper so the endcaps will march up flush again. Then redrill the holes on the end caps and get a new set of fastners. I just gotta find a way to make the cut on the endcaps super smooth.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rusman161
Thanks, that means a lot. I'm glad I could
Help.

I'm kind of thinking about making the stubby even shorter. I'm planning on cutting the end caps right where the holes are and cutting the same amount off the outer edge of the bumper so the endcaps will march up flush again. Then redrill the holes on the end caps and get a new set of fastners. I just gotta find a way to make the cut on the endcaps super smooth.
I am very interested in that. I'm thinking about doing it.
I would like mine to be a little shorter on the ends.
Then fab in a front hitch, so I can use a removable winch setup front or rear.

Thanks for posting your thread.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the write up ... think I will do this until I get set on a different front.
(I would suggest to everyone to purchase a LENOX blade for your saw ... they will not warp as easy and last far longer than any others... fyi)
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

As an update I have not cut my endcaps, work has been keeping me busy and I've been spending my spare time adding other accessories. The more
I look at it the more I'm planning on keeping it the way it is now. If I bump into something and rip one off the. I'll shorten them, but until then I'm leaving them as they are.

Oh and thanks for the input, I should have done a writeup for my fender chop and snorkel install as well, but time was limited. I'll start doing writeups on as I get more mods installed. Glad I could help!

Quick Reply: VDP Stubby Bumper Conversion