Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights Installation Write-Up & Review

Old 05-23-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been using these as my rock lights for almost two years now and they work great through water mud and are still bright and going strong. Too each his own if you are into the aftermarket impulse buys like 400.00 rock lights, but for under 50 with tax you have the same thing with virtually the same performance. If you break one who cares 20 and you have a new one and a spare! i even thought about getting a few more for other locations since they hold up so well. just my 2cents
Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've used these lights as back up helper lights for a little over a year now, love them I mounted just under my bumper. They have really taken some abuse and still working.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Junkie

Definitely going to do this, does it need a relay or any additional switch or each come with own relay? I don't have the daystar panel. I'm thinking of running the pairs individually that way I have lots of switches, I have a bunch of 16 gauge wire would that be sufficient?

Last edited by matt852; 05-23-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:06 PM
JK Super Freak

For the price and the light they put out....on my mod list for sure Thanks WOL
Old 05-24-2011, 07:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by matt852
Definitely going to do this, does it need a relay or any additional switch or each come with own relay? I don't have the daystar panel. I'm thinking of running the pairs individually that way I have lots of switches, I have a bunch of 16 gauge wire would that be sufficient?
you only need to use a relay if you plan on hooking up more than a pair of lights to one switch and if you do that, you will need to use something more like a 12 or 10 gauge wire. the kit comes with switches that don't even fit the daystar panel anyway so you can pretty much use whatever you want and locate them wherever you can.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would like to do this, but I am not real good with electrical things. I can follow this write up pretty well, nice write up. I was able to follow the side marker mod and got that done the first time, so I can follow instruction ok. My questions would be, if I want to have 4 light (2 pair), one set for the front and one set for the rear;

1) What relay do I need and where would I put it?
2) For the set in the back, where would be a good place to mount them?
3) Where/how does one run the wires from that back to the front?

My first thought was to have the 2 pair of light turn on with one switch. Will the switch that comes with the light be enough, or should I get another switch, and if so, what kind?

PS: I don't have the day star panel, so I was looking at mounting the switch on the lower driver panel somewhere. Is there a water proof toggle switch I can use?

Last edited by DJSJK50; 05-24-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ilflyya
I'd love to see the Walmart Automotive Dept. buyer's face when sales suddenly sky rocket on this item
Just bought some today and there was only one set left! I like how small they are. Hopefully I can get them on tonight.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
you only need to use a relay if you plan on hooking up more than a pair of lights to one switch and if you do that, you will need to use something more like a 12 or 10 gauge wire. the kit comes with switches that don't even fit the daystar panel anyway so you can pretty much use whatever you want and locate them wherever you can.
Thanks WOL! So the box comes with everything I really need besides terminal endings and connectors right? I'm thinking of only putting the front two for now.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

adding to the list!! Sweet mod!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:10 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJSJK50
1) What relay do I need and where would I put it?
on moby dick, i used a 12V/40A relay and installed it under the hood near the battery. you will need to get a matching plug for it as well.

2) For the set in the back, where would be a good place to mount them?
on moby, we have an evo lever and relocated our muffler to the center of the jeep. this gave us all kinds of options and i just attached a couple to existing studs on the base of the tub. with the muffler in the way, it's hard to find a good spot that will keep the lights out of the way. i have not found a good location that i'm happy with yet on nemo.

3) Where/how does one run the wires from that back to the front?
all you really need a power lead coming from the battery and you can run it along the frame rails. the ground wires can all be terminated locally.

My first thought was to have the 2 pair of light turn on with one switch. Will the switch that comes with the light be enough, or should I get another switch, and if so, what kind?
each pair of lights come with switches and you should NOT combine the 2 pair (4 lights total) on to one switch UNLESS you use a relay and heavy guage wire.

PS: I don't have the day star panel, so I was looking at mounting the switch on the lower driver panel somewhere. Is there a water proof toggle switch I can use?
sure, there are all kinds of great switches you can get at places like radio shack or online. i get most of mine from a place called marvac.

Quick Reply: Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights Installation Write-Up & Review