Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights Installation Write-Up & Review

Old 05-24-2011, 05:19 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopN
Just bought some today and there was only one set left! I like how small they are. Hopefully I can get them on tonight.
that's too funny. one does have to wonder

Originally Posted by matt852
Thanks WOL! So the box comes with everything I really need besides terminal endings and connectors right? I'm thinking of only putting the front two for now.
yes, and in all fairness, all the wires that come with it do come with ring terminals too, they're just too small to be used on the existing studs on the JK.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it, somthing that wont break the bank. Hopefully their not all sold out at Walmart.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks WOL! I love this forum! I'm totally doing this over the weekend. Gonna get 3 pairs I think... Front, middle, & rear. Ya think that's enough rock light?? LOL

Might be cool if I can somehow tap the switch into the factory wiring so they come on when I use my key remote to unlock the doors.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie

I used the same lights on mine, but beware, they only last about 6 months to a year as the rubber seal will crack and moisture gets in there really easy and corrodes the contacts. I have 3 sets on mine and all have stopped working, even through the wires are fine and bulbs not burned out.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Thanks WOL! I love this forum! I'm totally doing this over the weekend. Gonna get 3 pairs I think... Front, middle, & rear. Ya think that's enough rock light?? LOL

Might be cool if I can somehow tap the switch into the factory wiring so they come on when I use my key remote to unlock the doors.
if you do it, just make sure to use the right wiring and a relay. these aren't LED's and do use a lot of juice.

Originally Posted by scouter4life
I used the same lights on mine, but beware, they only last about 6 months to a year as the rubber seal will crack and moisture gets in there really easy and corrodes the contacts. I have 3 sets on mine and all have stopped working, even through the wires are fine and bulbs not burned out.
i've had 3 pairs on my white JK for almost 2 years now and, while i have had a couple stop working, replacing them was cheap and easy and so it was no big deal to me.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
on moby dick, i used a 12V/40A relay and installed it under the hood near the battery. you will need to get a matching plug for it as well.

each pair of lights come with switches and you should NOT combine the 2 pair (4 lights total) on to one switch UNLESS you use a relay and heavy guage wire.
Thanks, so If I get the relay you mentioned, where would the heavy guage wire be needed, from the relay to the light (replacing the wire for the lights)?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by wayoflife

if you do it, just make sure to use the right wiring and a relay. these aren't LED's and do use a lot of juice.
Will do, of course! I plan on using the same wiring harness/relay as my KC Slimlites setup and any proper gauge wire I'll need to hook them together on the same circuit.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Been talking w/ WOL about these for a while, I saw them using these on one of there night runs. I have been waiting to d othese for a while. Now that I'm about ready to install my IPF, I will add this to the list. May as well do all the lighting work at one time. Thanks Eddie for the awesome write-up.....you have to love this Forum!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Installed super easy. Are there two different versions of these lights? 35w and 55w? Mine are 55w? Is it okay to not use a relay since I'm only doing the front for now? I heard the draw of these together was around 9 amps.

Last edited by matt852; 05-25-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by matt852
Installed super easy. Are there two different versions of these lights? 35w and 55w? Mine are 55w? Is it okay to not use a relay since I'm only doing the front for now? I heard the draw of these together was around 9 amps.
I would think that if you're only mounting the one pair, the built in fuse should suffice and you won't need a relay... but then again, a relay never hurts.

Quick Reply: Walmart Platinum Burner Rock Lights Installation Write-Up & Review