Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Winch mount W/factory bumper

Old 05-30-2016, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmanimal
When I did mine, I relocated the brake booster. I simply cut the existing bracket off the frame, mounted it under the hood and was able to just pull apart the hose and reconnect a shorter existing version. Note: I have a 2015 rubi. No problem with the disco, but the trimming and adjustment of the winch plate and the bumper took some test fitting.
Forgot about the brake booster. I also relocated it under the hood using a bracket from Rock Slide Engineering.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Shackle mounts

When I did mine, I relocated the brake booster. I simply cut the existing bracket off the frame, mounted it under the hood and was able to just pull apart the hose and reconnect a shorter existing version. Note: I have a 2015 rubi. No problem with the disco, but the trimming and adjustment of the winch plate and the bumper took some test fitting.
That's a great look. what shackle mounts did you use and how did you attach them to the bumper? When I do the winch install in my OEM bumper I want to have some shackles mounted as you do. I was thinking maybe attaching to the tow hooks through the plastic bumper but didn't game plan it out yet. Any info on this from you or others would be very helpful. All the write ups on this so far have been great and very helpful.

Thanks and keep the shiny side up.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Ditto for info on how you did shackles
Thanks
Old 10-22-2016, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Winch Roller for SmittyBilt XRC 9.5 Gen2 Winch

New to JKF. I want to mount Smittybilt XRC 9.5 Gen2 Winch. The bolt pattern on the new bumper fits fine.

Does a roller have to be mounted as well?
If so, how does the roller get mounted?

Any pics showing roller plate install would be great.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Used a rock hard 4x4 plate. Worked out great didn't want to carry the after market bumper weight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	451
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	662481   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	662482  
Old 12-12-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

I have been searching but haven't seen anyone try it with synthetic. I'm in the process of getting one now but if it can't be done I need to change my plans. Thanks for any input
Old 12-16-2016, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you convert that Oem Bumper so that the end caps come off?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Great job!

Can you pass on info where you got the winch mount plate? And, do you think you have to use the roller fairlead?
Old 10-22-2020, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My hidden winch mount in the stock bumper! Warn VR Evo 8s, Custom Built Plate by Unlimited Offroad, started with AEV winch plate, remote mounted control box off of Alternator bolt

Old 12-22-2020, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch lever

I test fit the winch by bolting it to the plate the dropping the plate in place. I don't think I can move the plate back any further. As I write this I hadn't looked closely enough to see if I can trim more of the plate to slide it back. The clutch lever on the winch is hitting the cross member running across the bottom between the frame rails and won't allow the plate to lay flat.

Has anyone that has done this mod run into this and what was done to remedy?

Quick Reply: Winch mount W/factory bumper