Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

Old 07-08-2015, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Draglink Help

Planman,

I have read all 30+ pages on this topic and watched your videos. You are something else. Anyhow I did your step by step diagnosis. I am getting a clunk that I can feel on both ends of the drag link while the steering wheel is cycled. The knuckle end has visible movement that appears to be more than simply the rotational movement designed for operation. It is somewhat of a jerky up and down motion when the wheel is cycled back in the other direction. The pitman end "seems" to have clunky feel (could easily be the clunk transferring from the knuckle side), but not as much movement as the other end. I pulled the end of the pitman arm and while the joint moves pretty freely, it doesn't feel like its bad or at least its not obviously bad.

Do you have (or anyone else) have any pointers on the pitman arm end? Should I simply replace the whole draglink assembly and go wheeling or one at a time?

Any help is appreciated.

Also, it is on a 2014 with 19K. Odds on it being covered?

Last edited by greenerob; 07-08-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by greenerob
Planman, I have read all 30+ pages on this topic and watched your videos. You are something else. Anyhow I did your step by step diagnosis. I am getting a clunk that I can feel on both ends of the drag link while the steering wheel is cycled. The knuckle end has visible movement that appears to be more than simply the rotational movement designed for operation. It is somewhat of a jerky up and down motion when the wheel is cycled back in the other direction. The pitman end "seems" to have clunky feel (could easily be the clunk transferring from the knuckle side), but not as much movement as the other end. I pulled the end of the pitman arm and while the joint moves pretty freely, it doesn't feel like its bad or at least its not obviously bad. Do you have (or anyone else) have any pointers on the pitman arm end? Should I simply replace the whole draglink assembly and go wheeling or one at a time? Any help is appreciated. Also, it is on a 2014 with 19K. Odds on it being covered?
Thanks.

If they cover it under warranty, I'd be very surprised.

If it were me, I'd upgrade to a Synergy drag link. It is stronger and is capable of being run either flipped or in the stock position.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greenerob
Planman, I have read all 30+ pages on this topic and watched your videos. You are something else. Anyhow I did your step by step diagnosis. I am getting a clunk that I can feel on both ends of the drag link while the steering wheel is cycled. The knuckle end has visible movement that appears to be more than simply the rotational movement designed for operation. It is somewhat of a jerky up and down motion when the wheel is cycled back in the other direction. The pitman end "seems" to have clunky feel (could easily be the clunk transferring from the knuckle side), but not as much movement as the other end. I pulled the end of the pitman arm and while the joint moves pretty freely, it doesn't feel like its bad or at least its not obviously bad. Do you have (or anyone else) have any pointers on the pitman arm end? Should I simply replace the whole draglink assembly and go wheeling or one at a time? Any help is appreciated. Also, it is on a 2014 with 19K. Odds on it being covered?
great place to ask for answers! Also - Welcome
Old 09-28-2015, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default wierd wobble watched your videos and still need help

PLANMAN im trying to figure out why I have a wobble and I just replaced my factory ball joints with synergy and thinking it would solve that problem but it didn't(disclaimer: The ball joints were definitely on there way out). while im driving either 30 or 40mph my rig raddles with light or moderate throttle but when I release it stops. originally I thought it was my tires being off balanced but I checked and rotated them and still the same problem. so im thinking a alignment but I was told it would affect it that much. so I am at a lost of words and ideas my friend. HELP!!
Old 09-28-2015, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LifeAsRob
PLANMAN im trying to figure out why I have a wobble and I just replaced my factory ball joints with synergy and thinking it would solve that problem but it didn't(disclaimer: The ball joints were definitely on there way out). while im driving either 30 or 40mph my rig raddles with light or moderate throttle but when I release it stops. originally I thought it was my tires being off balanced but I checked and rotated them and still the same problem. so im thinking a alignment but I was told it would affect it that much. so I am at a lost of words and ideas my friend. HELP!!
My vote is one of the trackbar mounts or perhaps the the relo bracket if you used one. Might be that the one of those areas is out of spec torque wise or starting to oval out. When not under acceleration the bolts settle in to the mount and don't allow movement. When you accelerate the bolts shift and the shaking starts. If I were trouble shooting my rig with the same issues, that would be something I'd look at before throwing money at parts and alignments. Good luck
Old 09-28-2015, 12:34 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeAsRob
Have you watched the videos and read the first couple posts at the beginning of this thread?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes and I think I might have found the problem. My tow is off and causing the wobble 8 think
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for this great thread. Like some others here, I am experiencing a shimmy in the steering wheel when I hit a bump at low speed. Goes back and forth maybe 2-3 times and then stops. But I hate the feel of it -- must fix...

Before finding this thread I rotated tires this weekend and checked everything up front for play. Didn't find any, but I didn't remove track bar bolts or check torque, so it was only a lame first pass. Now I'm planning to do the full diagnosis ASAP. In order to give me the best chance of fixing it, I ordered the Northridge bolt kit and will install as I go.

Wish me luck!

-Micah
2013 JKUR - MC 2.5" lift w/ adjustable track bar and relo brackets. 35x10.50x17 Swamper Radials on OEM wheels. Rock hard skids. Superwinch 12,500 SSR in Rough Country hybrid stubby bumper.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default Need Help!! Cant find problem....

Planman,

I really thank you for your post and advice, but I cant seem to find the problem and neither can any shop. I have read your write up and believe I checked and did everything right. I put a 3" lift on about 3 years ago and up until about 6 months ago, I have been having death wobble issues. I have replaced the steering stabilizer, drag link, tie rod, track bar with grade 8 bolts, ball joints, and hub bearings. I have took it to 3 different shops and no one can find anything loose or any problems. One thing I did notice recently when i was checking torque on everything and messed up the drag link removing it, I replaced it with a new one and everything seemed to be good, but like two weeks after the death wobble came back. I really love my jeep but Im really at the point of giving up.....also if anyone is in South Jersey and could help me or knows any recommend shops it would be much appreciated.

also only other thing I have noticed is a slight up and down play in ball joints.

Last edited by Xspearo; 10-06-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xspearo
Planman, I really thank you for your post and advice, but I cant seem to find the problem and neither can any shop. I have read your write up and believe I checked and did everything right. I put a 3" lift on about 3 years ago and up until about 6 months ago, I have been having death wobble issues. I have replaced the steering stabilizer, drag link, tie rod, track bar with grade 8 bolts, ball joints, and hub bearings. I have took it to 3 different shops and no one can find anything loose or any problems. One thing I did notice recently when i was checking torque on everything and messed up the drag link removing it, I replaced it with a new one and everything seemed to be good, but like two weeks after the death wobble came back. I really love my jeep but Im really at the point of giving up.....also if anyone is in South Jersey and could help me or knows any recommend shops it would be much appreciated. also only other thing I have noticed is a slight up and down play in ball joints.
Where in south jersey are you?

Quick Reply: Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles