Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
When there is sufficient torque to those bolts and the trackbar bushings are in good shape, and in a neutral position (the bolts were only torqued after the full weight of the vehicle was on the ground at actual ride height), then there should not have been play sufficient to cause the bracket bolt holes to oval.

The bolts only provide a clamping force, and are not meant to float in the bracket holes. The hardness of the metal of Grade 8 bolts vs. stock bolts are essentially the same. The primary reason to do the Grade 8 bolts is to make sure the bolts and bushings are centered when clamped/torqued.

If the bolts were sufficiently torqued at 125 ft lbs, and periodically re-torqued, they would have not caused that kind of ovalilng unless the trackbar bushings were failing, or the bushings didn't do their job because they were run in a twisted/binding/pre-loaded position instead of a neutral position.

You need a shop to either weld washers over those bolt holes in order to snug things up, or you can run different brackets that accomplish the same thing. I particular, the axle side bracket holes are ovaled enough that some sort of repair is needed. The trackbar bushing bolt sleeve is not likely able to fully sit on the surface of the bracket outside the bracket hole.

I am very curious of the condition of your trackbar bushings.
Thank you so much for your input and timely response Planman. When I installed the lift and hardware I did tighten all bolts in the neutral position (while the jeep was on the ground). I also had the jeep in the neutral position when I have checked the bolt torques routinely and do not seem to recall that the front track bar bolts were loose, however some of the LCA and rear trackbar bolts needed a little more torque. Yesterday, before I removed the front trackbar both bolts were tightened to 125 ft-lbs.

I had sent Teraflex some photos and the video of the mount holes and their response was:

“The Axle side bracket does seem larger than normal but the bolt if torqued to spec should not let the sleeve in the trackbar bushing move. Grade 8 bolts 9/16” in diameter and 3” long can be torqued to 154 FT Lbs. I think the axle bracket will be fine if the bolt is torqued properly”
So you will have to take his advice and make your own educated decision. The track bar gusset would add some strength."

Attached are some photos of the trackbar bushings which to me, the un-educated novice mechanic, appear ok but please let me know what you think. The first two photos of the bushings are on the frame side and the last two are on the axle side, which is the side with the mount holes ovaled out the worst.

Tomorrow, I have scheduled to take the jeep into a reputable local off-road shop to see what they think and recommend. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160112_091508.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	634374Click image for larger version

Name:	20160112_091532.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	634375Click image for larger version

Name:	20160112_091539.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	3.84 MB
ID:	634376Click image for larger version

Name:	20160112_0915142.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	634379Click image for larger version

Name:	20160112_0915212.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	4.72 MB
ID:	634380
Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Follow-up: The shop attributed the death wobble on bad ball joints which I had them replace. They stated that the bolts were torqued to 123 ft-lbs and also recommended over torquing them and even using the red loctite on the suspension bolts to ensure they stay tight.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by planman
That drag link end is worn and needs to be replaced.
Replaced my drag link with synergy, and the shake has noticeably decreased. There is still some movement at 45 mph. I'll keep going through the steps but I believe the ball joints need replaced which from reading this is something I should do anyways...

I really appreciate all of your help
Old 02-03-2016, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by grandjunktion
Follow-up: The shop attributed the death wobble on bad ball joints which I had them replace. They stated that the bolts were torqued to 123 ft-lbs and also recommended over torquing them and even using the red loctite on the suspension bolts to ensure they stay tight.
I still notice vibrations when going over bumps and thinking that I should invest into a front track bar brace to correct the ovalled out holes in the frame? I know Synergy has one for $100

SYNERGY MANUFACTURING :: Jeep JK :: Synergy Jeep JK Front Track Bar Brace

Has anyone else used this brace or have alternative suggestions. For $100 I'm thinking this is the route to go rather than to have to weld.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I still notice vibrations when going over bumps and thinking that I should invest into a front track bar brace to correct the ovalled out holes in the frame? I know Synergy has one for $100 SYNERGY MANUFACTURING :: Jeep JK :: Synergy Jeep JK Front Track Bar Brace Has anyone else used this brace or have alternative suggestions. For $100 I'm thinking this is the route to go rather than to have to weld.
It certainly wouldn't hurt to run that brace.

Are the vibrations random, or do they happen essentially every single time you drive over bumps?
Old 02-05-2016, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

It seems like it vibrates slightly over each bump. I haven't driven my jeep a lot since the repairs though.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

It seems like it vibrates slightly over each bump. I haven't driven my jeep a lot since the repairs though.
If the suspension bolts are all sufficiently torqued, the ball joints and unit bearings are good, then what you are describing would be from worn or twisted control arm or trackbar bushings.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2015 4 door Wrangler with a 4" rancho lift, rs9000 shocks and 1.5" wheel spacers on the stock wheels running 35's. I have chased my death wobble since I lifted the jeep. I have put it on the ground and loosened and re-tightened everything. I ONLY get it when I hit a bump or something like around 30mph. I've read bits and pieces of this thread but still am scratching my head. Should I try the track bar replacement, ball joints and the grade 8 bolts? Without going through everything has there been a new consensus since this thread was started? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by jowens
I have a 2015 4 door Wrangler with a 4" rancho lift, rs9000 shocks and 1.5" wheel spacers on the stock wheels running 35's. I have chased my death wobble since I lifted the jeep. I have put it on the ground and loosened and re-tightened everything. I ONLY get it when I hit a bump or something like around 30mph. I've read bits and pieces of this thread but still am scratching my head. Should I try the track bar replacement, ball joints and the grade 8 bolts? Without going through everything has there been a new consensus since this thread was started? Thanks!
Start with watching the YouTube videos in the first post of this thread.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I'm not mistaken, everything I've read here on this, I get if you raise your jeep more than 2", install adjustable lower control arms so you can push the front axle forward to its original location. Is this correct?

Quick Reply: Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles