Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not the old man emu springs.

If you're running more than about 30 psi in your tires, that could give a harsh on road ride.

An up-and-down clunking just when you hit imperfections in the road, needs to be diagnosed like you would death wobble.

It could be the ball joints. It could be the suspension bolts were torqued improperly--with the jeep on the lift, or that the bolts weren't loosened when the new suspension was installed, etc.

Loose shock bolts would result in clunks.

Watch the 2 diagnosis videos. Then read the beginning of this thread.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
It's not the old man emu springs.

If you're running more than about 30 psi in your tires, that could give a harsh on road ride.

An up-and-down clunking just when you hit imperfections in the road, needs to be diagnosed like you would death wobble.

It could be the ball joints. It could be the suspension bolts were torqued improperly--with the jeep on the lift, or that the bolts weren't loosened when the new suspension was installed, etc.

Loose shock bolts would result in clunks.

Watch the 2 diagnosis videos. Then read the beginning of this thread.
Well it´s not a clunking. More shivering, moving , wobbling. I had a loose Trackbar bolt/gusset on my ZJ. There it was e real clunk and you felt it. Here ....I don´t know.
Like i said like not enough rebound on the shocks and the suspension is wobbling. You also can feel/see this on mountain bikes when you don´t ü have enough rebound.

Trackbar bolts are tightened correctly I checked this.
Control arm bolts should be also ok. As it was in the garage for the OME lift I asked when it was back on teh ground if they were ready and they said "no we have to tighten the bolts now".
So with this statement and as it is a special garage for Jeeps they should have done this correctly.
Ball joints........ is always an issue. But with 10kmls and no clunking ???
Tires have good pressure because of daily use. I should check what happens if I go with less pressure.
Altough I think it´s just if tires transfer more bumps into the suspension and it also be perfect with 50psi.....
And in a short time I´ll change my lower front control arms, so the bolt issue would be checked or how should I say.... solved if there is an issue

So I´m still convinced it´s something else.
Like I said very hard springs with real soft shocks...... But it seems no one ever made such a expirience....

I had an similar "issue" with my race car. There you always try to get a better (harder) suspension. Ok, so we bought race coilover shocks. Not hard enough, so we bought coil springs with higher rate.
Still you felt that there was something soft...
So we changed the bushing into hard PU bushing......
And still you felt that there was something to soft. Like some parts weren´t up to the stress and to soft for the task and the rest of the suspension.

Last edited by MitchMG; 04-24-2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

50 psi in 8 or 10 ply tires on a 7000 lbs crew cab diesel truck is fine, but that is way to much for a 4500 lbs jeep.

Try 30 psi.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

50psi was just kiddin.....
Actually I drive around with 35psi. Right now it is 32-33psi.
But in the parks I go down to 23-22psi.
Maybe I should check the what happens with 28-30psi onroad.
I or a lot of people went up with pressure after lifting and going fot bigger wheels because of the fuel consumption wich drastically went up.
But I think there is not such a great influence with +-5 psi Personnaly think there is a larger influence with +-5°C
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New Moog ball joints and replaced the track bar bolts to 9/16ths feels better. I hope it's solved.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xerofall
New Moog ball joints and replaced the track bar bolts to 9/16ths feels better. I hope it's solved.
I´m thinking about the complete hardware/bolt kit from JKS. I would like to do this when changing the front control arms.
Ball joints.........I´m not keen on them. Is not a nice work and I don´t like to dissasemble half front axle for the change. specially on a one year old car.
Garage wants a fortune for this and I probably won´t get warranty because of the lift and tires.
It might be an issue anyway when welding on the C gussets.
So I´ll probably start checking and changing from easy to difficult. See when it stops.
Task 1 check different tire pressures......
Task 2 change bolts
Task 3 change lower front control arms
Task 4 reallign everything after adding additional trimpackers/spacers
In between the shocks will be changed anyway. Looking for Fox 2.0 factory ones or even 2.0 bypass

And then........ the difficult stuff comes, but I hope it´s fixed till then
Old 04-25-2013, 05:19 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

The Moog ball joints have a warranty (on the parts, not labor), but they don't have a track record of lasting much longer than stock.

Synergy/Poly Performance or Dynatrac are the way to go. The Synergy ball joints are only $200 for the set of 4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He would only warranty his work on Moog, I wanted to buy the Poly ones but I had to go with his rules. If there's a problem with Moog in another five years I'll take it to another place and get the Poly.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

OK planman I have done what you said and still I have a DW. I have replaced my bolts as you stated. I did have a bad OEM stabilizer which has been replaced with a teraflex Stab. I have also replaced my trackbar with the taraflex. Tires are properly inflated, I have rotated them and have re balanced them. I have also re checke the torque on the bolts. I have also had the wheels re-aligned.

I have 74K miles on the JK and and it only happens when I am turn LEFT at around 55 mph+ and hit a bump on the RIGHT tire.

What now?

Last edited by PatrickESJK; 05-28-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PatrickESJK
OK planman I have done what you said and still I have a DW. I have replaced my bolts as you stated. I did have a bad OEM stabilizer which has been replaced with a teraflex Stab. I have also replaced my trackbar with the taraflex. Tires are properly inflated, I have rotated them and have re balanced them. I have also re checke the torque on the bolts. I have also had the wheels re-aligned.

I have 74K miles on the JK and and it only happens when I am turn LEFT at around 55 mph+ and hit a bump on the RIGHT tire.

What now?
Check your balljoints. Mine are shot and cause DW

Quick Reply: Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles