Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles

Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Speed related, easily reproducible shimmies and wobbles are nearly always wheel/tire related.

It could be bad or poorly worn tires, failure to remove the stock lug retainer clips when running wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels, a bent or damaged wheel, etc.

If it happens when braking, it could be worn discs, loose or worn control arm bushings (particularly the uppers), worn or bad unit bearings or ball joints, etc.
[QUOTE="MYO8JK;3398497"]

That's just it I have no lift kit yet still stock. I also bought a steering stabilizer shock the old one was bad had the JK in the shop and had them do an alignment and wheel balance not to mention but the tire only have about 35K on them I forgot to mention that before I did all this I did have 2 or 3 DW episodes. I thought the problem was solved after having it in the shop Then I started noticing the shimmy at higher speeds. So I bought the bolt kit hopefully that works until I install a lift kit.

Last edited by MYO8JK; 01-25-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

[QUOTE="MYO8JK;3398497"]

That's just it I have no lift kit yet still stock. I also bought a steering stabilizer shock the old one was bad had the JK in the shop and had them do an alignment and wheel balance not to mention but the tire only have about 35K on them I forgot to mention that before I did all this I did have 2 or 3 DW episodes. I thought the problem was solved after having it in the shop Then I started noticing the shimmy at higher speeds. So I bought the bolt kit hopefully that works until I install a lift kit.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=MYO8JK;3398497]
Originally Posted by MYO8JK

If you have had even one incident of DW, you need to go through the entire inspection checklist in one sitting.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Planman - quick question:

Since doing my lift and tire upgrades, on about 3 occassions, as I have gone over bumps of some sort (speed, pothole, etc) I have gotten a momentary "DW", meaning wheel shakes from L-R hard for about 2-3 seconds. We've verified torque on all bolts and checked the tires. Is this DW? I'm thinking bad steering stabilizer, but not sure wether I should just replace bolts...
Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Will do as soon as mi lift kit arrives I'll be right on it. Thanks for all your help
Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by Gopjew
Planman - quick question:

Since doing my lift and tire upgrades, on about 3 occassions, as I have gone over bumps of some sort (speed, pothole, etc) I have gotten a momentary "DW", meaning wheel shakes from L-R hard for about 2-3 seconds. We've verified torque on all bolts and checked the tires. Is this DW? I'm thinking bad steering stabilizer, but not sure wether I should just replace bolts...
That isn't DW, and it isn't the steering stabilizer. You need to do the inspection I show in the video.

Also, if you did not loosen all the control arm and trackbar bolts during the lift and wait to retorque everything until the vehicle was back on the ground at the new ride height, you may have pre-loaded/binding/twisted bushings that will lead to premature failure and cause a jittery ride.

If this is the case, loosen the bolts, vigorously rock the vehicle side-to-side and forward-and- back to unbind everything, then retorque to spec.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

Hey, planman. I have been experiening death wobble and i cannot figure out whats wrong. I've retorqued everything, did the 9/16 bolt swap. And just followed everything you said to do in the. Inspection. I still have no clue.. Im going to get an alignment on thursday. And not only do i have death wobble but now i have a shimmy at 45-55 mph, already had my tires rotated and balanced on friday. Please help me!:(
Old 01-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by LikeMike850
Hey, planman. I have been experiening death wobble and i cannot figure out whats wrong. I've retorqued everything, did the 9/16 bolt swap. And just followed everything you said to do in the. Inspection. I still have no clue.. Im going to get an alignment on thursday. And not only do i have death wobble but now i have a shimmy at 45-55 mph, already had my tires rotated and balanced on friday. Please help me!:(
So, when you did the dry steering test like what I show in the second video, there were no clunks or knocks in the system?

Sometimes if you don't find it through your first run of the inspection checklist in post number two, you have to go back and go through it again second time and individually remove each of the front control arms and the trackbar--One component at a time--to properly inspect each bracket bolt hole, each bracket weld and each bushing.

Is the death wobble random or happens every time you reach the same speed?

Did you do a self alignment?

Is the treadwear on your front tires even or feathered?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman

So, when you did the dry steering test like what I show in the second video, there were no clunks or knocks in the system?

Sometimes if you don't find it through your first run of the inspection checklist in post number two, you have to go back and go through it again second time and individually remove each of the front control arms and the trackbar--One component at a time--to properly inspect each bracket bolt hole, each bracket weld and each bushing.

Is the death wobble random or happens every time you reach the same speed?

Did you do a self alignment?

Is the treadwear on your front tires even or feathered?
Couldn't find any clunks or loose parts, I will try again tomorrow and hope for different results! I do not get DW anymore after I installed a new Steering stabilizer but as soon as I take it off and hit a pot hole it will happen. And the shimmy only happens at 45-55 mph and it is consistent everyday
Also my tires a worn unevenly and I'm getting an alignment Thursday.
Can ball joints contribute to DW. Also should the jk be on the ground or on jack stands for the inspection?

Last edited by JK yeti; 01-27-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by LikeMike850
Couldn't find any clunks or loose parts, I will try again tomorrow and hope for different results! I do not get DW anymore after I installed a new Steering stabilizer but as soon as I take it off and hit a pot hole it will happen. And the shimmy only happens at 45-55 mph and it is consistent everyday
Also my tires a worn unevenly and I'm getting an alignment Thursday.
Can ball joints contribute to DW. Also should the jk be on the ground or on jack stands for the inspection?
You need to watch the two YouTube videos in post #2. I show how to check the ball joints.

For some things, you need the vehicle on the ground. For the ball joints and unit bearings, you need one side on jack stands. To do an easy self alignment, you want the entire front axle on jack stands.

Quick Reply: Write- Up Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles