Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write Up: MyGig RHR 730N Install for 2007 - 2010 JK

Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by alben
The only (very slightly, which I can overlook) annoyance, is that when the RHR turns on, it says RAM with the Dodge RAM logo (my used radio must have come from a 2011 Dodge RAM truck). Supposedly older RER radios would display the correct vehicle make/model. Perhaps the RHR doesn't know what to display because it was not originally intended for an early JK Wrangler. If anyone knows the fix for that slight issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
Mine came up with a Chrysler logo when I 1st plugged it in, but after 15 minutes I got the Jeep logo. Have you had yours up and running for awhile? Maybe you need a software update? I believe the latest software for the RHR is 2.1.1.

Which software version does yours have? You might have gotten an early release software before they made the RHR for a JK. The MyGig identifies your vehicle based on the VIN, and then updates the splash screen.

I just put a RHR installed in my 08 Wrangler last week. It was plug and play. I was lucky as in my original radio was an RES with Sirius, so although I did not have the required dual Sirius/GPS antenna, I DID have the antenna cable already run from the factory. For those that do not know, the factory Sirius antenna is on top of the rollbar above and behind the passenger seat. So to swap antennas, one has to take your hardtop off or put down the soft top. Take down the speaker bar. Unzip the rollbar padding. Disconnect the Farka connector and unbolt the old antenna pod. Install new dual antenna pod... The part number for the dual antenna is 05064910AA. It is just a few millimeters larger than the original Sirius antenna, but it was a perfect fit.
Thank you for posting the additional information. I might go ahead and purchase the new dual antenna. It was a tight squeeze with the adapter in there, and it seems it must have come disconnected already, because I lost GPS and SAT reception today.

Is your GPS reception ok with the antenna mounted in that location?

Last edited by Rednroll; 07-18-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine came up with a Chrysler logo when I 1st plugged it in, but after 15 minutes I got the Jeep logo. Have you had yours up and running for awhile? Maybe you need a software update? I believe the latest software for the RHR is 2.1.1.
I have had mine running for 5 days now and still have the RAM logo. I know the radio is communicating to the vehicle CAN bus, because everything else works (including the lockouts when driving). The software version: Application 1.908 . I have searched the web and went to the "Unofficial MyGig" site and there doesn't appear to be any updates published yet. Supposedly the company I bought it from says they put all the latest updates on the radios before they send them out. Hmmm... luckily you have a newer software update, but I don't see the ability to download it anywhere.

Is your GPS reception ok with the antenna mounted in that location?
Yes, I seem to have very good reception with the dual Sirius/GPS antenna pod mounted in its factory position, on top of the roll bar. Others have posted that the stock location is good because it is on top of the vehicle. Sirius/GPS signals do not go through metal, but it just so happens a Jeep's top is either canvas or fiberglass, which apparently does not affect the signal all that much.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

I am having problems with the dual antenna, the Sirius works but I'm losing the GPS also. It works fine with the old GPS only antenna though. I don't really use Sirius so I will stick with the GPS only antenna. Another problem that I'm having is that I couldn't get the USB panel mounts to work well. With them install, I get static and choppy playback. Without them, it plays find. I will say that it worked with the front USB ports but not the rear USB ports. Any thoughts?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by radside
I am having problems with the dual antenna, the Sirius works but I'm losing the GPS also. It works fine with the old GPS only antenna though. I don't really use Sirius so I will stick with the GPS only antenna. Another problem that I'm having is that I couldn't get the USB panel mounts to work well. With them install, I get static and choppy playback. Without them, it plays find. I will say that it worked with the front USB ports but not the rear USB ports. Any thoughts?
Your Antenna problem sounds like a mounting location problem. That's why I was originally concerned about by putting it under the hard top and I was actually surprised to hear you originally had good luck with that mounting location. The original GPS antenna is mounted in a different area. To get the dual antenna working properly you will most likely need to move the antenna mounting location. GPS signals are very weak signals, so the more you can reduce interference from a direct line of sight of the sky, the better off you will be. GPS was originally created by the military for satellite weapon purposes and was meant to be at a low level so that the enemy could not easily detect the signal. Sat radio signals are a bit stronger, so SAT antenna positioning is not quite as critical as GPS Antenna location positioning.

The USB problems you're having are most likely Cable and Cable routing related. Make sure you buy some good quality/thick USB cables, that are shielded and make the length of them as short as possible. USB cables are very subjective to outside noise and lose strength of the signal due to extra length very easily. The problems you're describing are very typical of using cheaper and non shielded cables. Try to route the cables away from other wires as much as possible also, but ensuring you have a thicker shielded cable should also help.

I'm using braided shielded USB cables with a total length of about 4 feet running from the radio to the connector and I currently haven't had any USB problems.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone know if the base CD player in our JKs have the USB ports in the back. I would like to run those extensions on mine.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

The only (very slightly, which I can overlook) annoyance, is that when the RHR turns on, it says RAM with the Dodge RAM logo (my used radio must have come from a 2011 Dodge RAM truck). Supposedly older RER radios would display the correct vehicle make/model. Perhaps the RHR doesn't know what to display because it was not originally intended for an early JK Wrangler. If anyone knows the fix for that slight issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
I thought you could change the wallpaper to whatever you wanted? As in, hook up a flash drive with an image on it, and then select that image as your wallpaper. There is actually a thread somewhere in the electrical forum that has tons of different wallpapers to choose from.

Now, I do not own a MyGig and am just going by my assumptions on the topic.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

I thought you could change the wallpaper to whatever you wanted? As in, hook up a flash drive with an image on it, and then select that image as your wallpaper. There is actually a thread somewhere in the electrical forum that has tons of different wallpapers to choose from.
Yes, you can change the wallpaper. I changed mine to a Redrock 2dr Sahara with soft top to match my JK However the splash screen when turning on the ignition shows Dodge RAM. This screen supposedly when it comes up is supposed to match your vehicle automatically by polling the CAN bus.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ISSY
Does anyone know if the base CD player in our JKs have the USB ports in the back. I would like to run those extensions on mine.
No, the base radios do not have USB ports on the backside. I believe that is a feature only the newest radios such as the RHR have.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering if this was possible ... I'm going to have to start saving my $$$!

I currently have the REN (non-Nav) MyGIG installed in my 07 and was enticed by the new model radio.

I think they should offer this as an option on ALL models (including the Sport).

I was disappointed when I went to buy my X in 2007 and the dealer told me that it "wasn't possible" to install a MyGIG in my Jeep and that it was only compatible with the Sahara and the Rubicon. Ha, ha! I've been enjoying my MyGIG unit in my X for a year and a half, and have recently upgraded all the speakers to the Mopar Kicker ones -- what a difference!

Thanks for the nice write-up. I may be swapping units soon.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

There is another adaptor designed for that connection that works really well too.

http://unitedradio.com/internal/nexu...AARHR&emp=Bill Harrington&RB=2&validate=2008806

Originally Posted by Rednroll
As mentioned there is a single SAT/GPS antenna connector. So the question you're probably going to ask next is, "How do I connect both my GPS antenna and SAT Antenna in my 2007-2010 JK to this single SAT antenna connector on the RHR radio?"

You have 2 options.....and here are your answers to doing each.

Option #1: Buy a new antenna (The easiest option) The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is currently one of the 1st Chrysler vehicles that has the MyGIG RHR 730N radio as an option. So there must be a single antenna which is available that is able to receive GPS and SAT radio information and then connects to this single connector. So your easiest option is to buy one of these antennas. The part number for this dual SAT/GPS antenna is 05064910AA (Thanks radside).

Option #2: Make A SAT/GPS combiner adapter (The not so easy option)
You will need to use a Power Splitter/Combiner device. One that will work for combining a GPS and SAT antenna signal is made by mini-circuits (www.mini-circuits.com). The model number of the device is ZFSC-2-2500 or ZFSC-2-2500-S+. Price ordered directly from mini-circuits is $74.95.

Device Data Sheet Link:
http://www.mini-circuits.com/pdfs/ZFSC-2-2500+.pdf

I purchased one off of ebay for $40 by doing a search on "ZFSC-2-2500".

Here's what it looks like:

The device has 2 inputs and 1 output, it works very similar to a cable TV splitter, except in reverse for this application where it is combining the signals.

Here's what you need to do with this device to make it an adapter, so that it plugs into your existing JK system.
You will need to additionally get the mating FAKRA connectors, connect them to COAX cable and then connect the COAX cable to the device as shown.

Your existing GPS Antenna connector will connect to INPUT 1, and your existing SAT Antenna connector will connect to to INPUT2, where the output "S" will then connect to the RHR GPS/SAT single connector.