Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Write Ups: Aftermarket Sub, Sub Amp, Remote Turn on Wire, LOC (line output convertor)

Old 02-10-2012, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you just have one question

can you take a clear pictures of what the L.O.C. cable should be spliced in the black quick disco for the stock infinity amp
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually just posted a thread asking the best spot to tap in LOC and than stumpled on this thread.

First, Great write up..thank you for that

It seems that some folks have tapped into the front speakers by the factory amp and others have tapped into the factory sub wiring in the back by the enclosure. What is the difference?

From my VERy limited understanding, it would seem that the signal going to the factory sub would be best suited to tap into as it would provide the most "sub like" signal for my amp. Not to mention that it is in a very convenient spot. Is that accurate?

If that is in fact the best spot, could someone provide some additional detail as to where exactly you tap into the factory sub wiring and what wires i would need to tap into?

I am using a PAC 2 channel LOC with remote turn on
Old 06-26-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the great write up! Saved me a lot of time finding the right wire to use for remote on.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Questions about LOC

Originally Posted by joyntman
Hello!
This is my first write up on the forum…

PURPOSE; To make it MUCH easier for anyone looking to find answers on how to install an aftermarket sub/sub amp to your JK with Infinity system.

ASSUMPTIONS;
· You are Keeping stock head unit & infinity amp to run all speakers EXCEPT sub.
I did this to keep stock appearance
· You do not want to invest in an expensive aftermarket harness to add this amp/sub.
· Running all new power/ground/remote turn on lead for new sub amp.

· It can be difficult to find the following data you need on the following in one place on the forum:
i. How/where to connect remote turn on lead wire.
ii. How to connect new amp INPUT RCA’s/ line level inputs to stock head unit. (via LOC)
iii. Where to run Amp wiring through the firewall.

Let’s answer each of these:
i. How do you connect a remote turn on lead for your amp (if your amp requires it)

a. Notes:
i. There is NOT a remote turn on lead on the stock headunit (non mygig)
ii. The stock unit uses a CAN BUS system to notify the Infinity amp it is on
iii. As a result, your aftermarket amp will be on whenever ignition is on, NOT necessarily coinciding with whether or not your radio is on, since you cannot wire directly to the head unit.
iv. VERY IMPORTANT TIME SAVER: if you are going to get an LOC (see ii below to get an audio signal for your amp, GET ONE that provides a remote turn on lead, and save your self all the rest of these steps in b, c below!)

b. There are several locations to hook up a remote turn on lead
i. cigarette lighter
ii. fuse box
iii. steering column (this is the one I chose)

c. STEERING COLUMN REMOTE TURN ON LEAD CONNECTION WRITE UP:
i. Remove lower cover:

ii. Remove upper cover:

iii. Locate 5 pin plug on left side of steering column:

1. I found it helpful to remove metal brace behind stock amp

iv. Unplug connector from steering column
v. Pull back existing wire cover and tape:
vi. Locate PINK/WHITE wire: this wire is switched with ignition

vii. Splice your remote turn on wire from amp to this wire
viii. Tape wire, replace wire cover, plug in connector, replace brace, plastic covers.
ix. That’s it! (no need to pull dash apart or run wiring all the way to fuse box!

ii. How to connect new amp INPUT RCA’s/ line level inputs to stock head unit. (via LOC)

a. Notes:
i. Stock Headunit (non mygig) does NOT have RCA outputs at all.

ii. Need to splice wiring to get audio signal for new amp via LOC (or just straight wiring if your new amp accepts line level inputs-NOT recommended, but doable)

iii. LOC=Line output convertor: this device converts speaker wiring into RCA connectors to provide input signal for your subwoofer
1. Scosche and PAC both have nice units. (I picked up a two channel scosche unit from best buy for $26.

a. NOTE; as mentioned above, several LOC’s provide a remote turn-on lead to avoid all the steps in roman numeral i. above!!!

iv. The location that you connect the LOC to can greatly affect the sound quality coming out of your sub! (see details below)

b. WHERE TO CONNECT LOC WRITEUP: (I will refer to wiring diagram below)
JK Infinity System Headunit/Infinity Amp wiring diagram:
http://tinyurl.com/jkwiringpic

i. Wire location A: (on connector from H/U to Infinity AMP OR behind H/U (recommended option)

(black plug, and refer to wiring diagram link above)

2. PRO’S
a. BEST choice for sound quality.
b. easy location to access (under steering column)

3. CON’S
a. Need to run long RCA wire from sub to steering column

4. If you want to connect behind head unit, more time involved

5. Location: under steering column on connector between amp and headunit, OR you can tap the line behind head unit
a. (refer to wire diagram above for wiring connections)

ii. Wire location B: (subwoofer wiring in rear of jeep, OR at amplifier sub out connection)

1. PRO’S
a. Easiest Location to tap into
b. Short RCA wires & remote turn on wire if you buy appropriate LOC

2. CON’S
a. Worst sound quality!
b. This signal has been amplified and crossed-over by Infinity Amp, and you may want to choose different crossover points than stock sub!
c. I did this. For a sub, sounds good!

iii. Wire Location C: Front speaker output on Infinity AMP

(white plug, and refer to wiring diagram link above)

1. PRO’S
a. Un-“crossed-over” signal to front speakers

2. CON’s
a. WHY DO THIS WHEN YOU CAN DO OPTION A above?

iii. Where to run the aftermarket AMP power wire through the firewall?

a. Notes
i. Be sure to use a fused power wire
ii. I also put my fusable power wire block INSIDE the vehicle to prevent weather/road grime affecting it
iii. There are several locations to choose from, or you can drill your own
iv. Be SURE to run your power wire SEPARATE from your remote turn on wire/RCA wires to prevent noise in your sub!

b. Keep it simple:

i. If you run the power cord along the passenger side of the Jeep to the front passenger footwell, there’s already a grommet that you can pierce with a knife, coat hanger, utility knife (be careful not to cut any existing wires)

ii. PICTURE OF FOOTWELL LOCATION:

Here are a few Pics of the finished project

I hope this helps!
I was curious if the LOC or summing device is enough to help improve the sound quality coming from the speakers and sub. I keep my top off and don't have a desire to add an amp, box and sub. But would like to improve my speakers and upgrade my sub inside the stock enclosure, I was curious if the LOC or summing device upgrades the quality enough to make the benefits of adding new speakers, an improved sub and dynomat and polyfill would offer a big enough improvement to make it worth it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, sorry for digging up an old thread. I have been looking for this info for days and finally found it. I am installing a box that has been wired up from my Pioneer unit that I am selling. ALl the RCA's are ran for the sub and remote turn on with remote sub level knob. I went to a MyGig with nav and want to hook my sub back up. I have the stock sub, but that thing stinks.... I want to use the RCA hookup that is at the front since I want the level control for the sub. That takes out the option of tapping the sub speaker wires and using the low level inputs on the amp. I plan on using a signal converter like mentioned in this thread BUT, I can't tell what color wires to tap into from that link with the wire diagram. the pic is blurry on my computer for some reason. There seems to be 4 wires for the sub with two positive and two negative leads. What colors do I tap into for the sub output ??????

What plug and what wires??
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5933.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	527982
Old 02-03-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Can anyone offer me some help here???? echo echo echo...

Originally Posted by TonyJK
Hey guys, sorry for digging up an old thread. I have been looking for this info for days and finally found it. I am installing a box that has been wired up from my Pioneer unit that I am selling. ALl the RCA's are ran for the sub and remote turn on with remote sub level knob. I went to a MyGig with nav and want to hook my sub back up. I have the stock sub, but that thing stinks.... I want to use the RCA hookup that is at the front since I want the level control for the sub. That takes out the option of tapping the sub speaker wires and using the low level inputs on the amp. I plan on using a signal converter like mentioned in this thread BUT, I can't tell what color wires to tap into from that link with the wire diagram. the pic is blurry on my computer for some reason. There seems to be 4 wires for the sub with two positive and two negative leads. What colors do I tap into for the sub output ??????

What plug and what wires??
Attachment 527982
Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Re aftermarket sub

Sorry, My JK is long gone; I just keep the document up for people to reference. Can someone that has a JK take a look and help this man?
Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by joyntman
Sorry, My JK is long gone; I just keep the document up for people to reference. Can someone that has a JK take a look and help this man?
Thanks
Looks like I am on my own.... LOL
Old 08-25-2014, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great write up! I want to do this on my 2014 JKU so been trying to figure out which lines to use. You mention in Option A, the best quality is going off of the black plug. With the Converter, are you TAPPING into the wires on that harness or are you removing and relocating?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome post, it was very useful when I installed my amp / sub. I wasn't planning on performing any audio adjustments until I stumbled upon my old Alpine amp I bought in 1992. So I said what the heck, I went out and bought a Kenwood 8" shallow mount sub (KFC-XW800f), created a spacer, mounted the sub & wired it all up. When I installed the LOC I took the easy approach and tapped into the sub speaker wires. It did pound but it just didn't sound right. I then moved the LOC and tapped into the front speakers (using the black 16 pin Infinity speaker output) and noticed the bass was much cleaner. I was happy overall with the outcome because the factory amp / sub combo just plain sucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	609934Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	609935Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	609942Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	609937Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	609938

Quick Reply: Write Ups: Aftermarket Sub, Sub Amp, Remote Turn on Wire, LOC (line output convertor)