Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Yet another CAI fab and install-prelim

Old 03-30-2007, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another CAI fab and install-prelim

-------------

Last edited by John L; 10-23-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Clean homemade job.
Did you use a Mig to weld the nipple on with?
Old 03-31-2007, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mudblud
Clean homemade job.
Did you use a Mig to weld the nipple on with?
Thanks!
No, I had it TIG'ed. I'm a welder (not what I'm doing for a living right now, but was for 20+ years), but am not allowed to use the equipment at work unless "authorized". It would have taken longer to get me "authorized" that it did to hand it to the welder and say "please make these two as one".

Last edited by John L; 03-31-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great Job!

For looks, you could use high temp black paint grill paint and you should build some type of shield around the filter so the heat isn't flowed back in the engine. Defeats the purpose of Cold Air Intake.

You saved over $200 and I'm all for that
Old 03-31-2007, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DBB888
Great Job!

For looks, you could use high temp black paint grill paint and you should build some type of shield around the filter so the heat isn't flowed back in the engine. Defeats the purpose of Cold Air Intake.

You saved over $200 and I'm all for that
I'll eventually get it powder coated, primer and paint doesn't stick to aluminum without anodizing, alodining, or a run through a Phosphoric Acid Anodizing (clean line) process. Aluminum is continually corroding unless covered from the elements, therefore next to impossible to paint without processing. Powder coating is easier and cheaper, I already have a quote at 10 bucks

I have looked extensively at that section of the engine bay with the stock airbox in. They put ithe inlet in a strange place, unless you are going diving. I traced out the airflow path, looks like it was pulling from behind the headlight and from underneath the box...more research required.

While planning the box, I was thinking about removing the rubber piece between the radiator and radiator support and ducting thru the front, baffled of course in case of rain. You can see this piece from the front on the LH side of the radiator...again, more research required.

Quick Reply: Yet another CAI fab and install-prelim