Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

YORK OBA for less than $100...

Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftyStrat
Sorry to revive an old thread, but how do you disengage the compressor? Does it have a clutch?
Yes, York's have clutches.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Great write up....in the process of getting everything . Question.... Did you use longer bolts for the bracket that bolts to yoir block? still working good? Thank you again for the write up and pics
Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepman29
Great write up....in the process of getting everything . Question.... Did you use longer bolts for the bracket that bolts to yoir block? still working good? Thank you again for the write up and pics
I ended up using the same bolts. Switching them out was in the plan, but when I pulled them out I realized they were threaded in like an inch to inch and a half. So I thought "Every bolt on a jeep is about an inch too long anyway so why should these be any different?" They are totally long enough. Even with using 1/4" plate for the mounting platform.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update for everyone...

So here is a little update for the whole system......

It works awesome!

The only couple problems I have had issues with is the shaft seal and little air leaks. It seems to have a little leak. but that has nothing to do with the actual system, just the pump itself being faulty. I'm going to pull it out soon and see if I can replace just that seal. I am using ATF fluid too so it might be a little thin. I think I'll switch out the fluid to something a little thicker. From the research I have done it seems that you can put just about ANY fluid in them and they will just keep on running. Since I built my own air tank using my front bumper I have found a few small air leaks in the welds that I have to weld/smooth/repaint. But since I had JUST painted the bumper before installing everything (before pressure testing) I have been slacking on fixing these. As for running any kind of air tools/blow gun/airing up tires/anything else that you would use a lot of air for a reasonably short amount of time.... I wouldn't go with anything else. Yeah, I could go in and find all the air leaks and fix them all (and when I get motivated I will). But for what I use it for, and how much I use it, Its an awesome system and a great price.

If I was going to run an ARB (or any other constant pressure acc.) I would probably run a small compressor dedicated to that alone and keep this system for everything else.

Thanks for looking!

Hope you all have enjoyed the writeup and learned something from it!

Last edited by Dezertjeepin; 08-30-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tslewisz
Yes, York's have clutches.
Yes, there is a clutch.... Kind of... its an electrically charged magnet I believe. When you flip the switch and send it power, it pulls everything together and engages the pulley. When the switch it off, the pulley free spins without pumping any air.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Yorks rule! Ive had the 12 volt systems and boy are you talking about slow and over heating. Ive installed and fabbed a york on a yj with a 4.3 motor and it is awesome. Thanks again for the update...didnt have a sbc pulley but ordered one 12 bucks. Thanks again
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

I tried in the past to install a sanden ac pump on the jk a while back using the existing setup with one longer belt but the ac line was in the way and I didnt feel like ordering one and costing to recharge the ac. So picked up a york for 50 bucks on CL. Awesome idea on the sbc pulley and mounting down below. I have all my stuff so will be tackling the alignment of pump. Already made the brackets but still got to tack one on motor plate and cut to fit for pulley alignment. Sbc pulley is a perfect bolt pattern.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jeepman29
Sbc pulley is a perfect bolt pattern.
Mine was ALMOST perfect. I had to open up the whole in the center a little to fit over the threads on the existing pulley. And the bolt holes are a scosh bigger than the bolts on the JK so it took a couple tries to get it to spin perfectly centered. But eventually did.

Post up some pics and any info you think I missed for other people's research when its all done.

Cant wait to see it!

Im glad to see all my hard work has help at least a couple people out!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Well got my bracket made...the york 210 is mounted. Its raining here so im a little slow on progress. Still need to hook all of it up. My york had barb fitting style inlet and outlets and would interfere if I ran hoses. So I took the discharge side cut off and drilled and tapped 1/4 npt threads will run a 1/4 by 3/8 90. Degree off pump and hard line to manifold with copper 3/8. Here some pics. Also my bracket is not as neat as yours were 3/16ths plate and after mounting I didnt like the.vibration so put 3/8 plate as backing and ran a piece to motor mount...solid mount now
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110905_101659.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	207047   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110905_101814.jpg
Views:	824
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	207050   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110905_101837.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	207052  
Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Compressor does not interfer with anything. Just a very tight fit. Overflow is a very tight fit as well but it works. My pulley on my york is the typical 6 inch double pulley thats found on many yorks

Quick Reply: YORK OBA for less than $100...