Notices

Live in CA / Wanna Register in NM

Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Live in CA / Wanna Register in NM

Not trying to skirt CA smog requirements (hint hint), but if someone were to live in CA, and owned property in NM, could that person register their jeep in either state they want to? Anyone with real world experience done this? I want an LS... but not willing to roll the dice with the smog nazis. I know it can be done. My dad did it, but unfortunately he's dead now, so asking him how he did it is out of the question if you know what I mean.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

I am not going to say this is illegal, as I am not sure of the legalities of it.
Usually most state laws require the vehicle to be registered in the primary state that you live and work.
The members of the military have an exemption on this for their vehicles if they are stationed in a state that is other than their home of record.

If you were to get pulled over and told the cop that you were only working here part-time, he may not hassle you too bad.
If you gave him a local address or your drivers license also showed Ca as your state, it may cause him to ask questions.

I think I would figure out the way to smog the vehicle here, to save any headaches in the future.

This really is not a land use question.
Mods might want to move this thread over to another topic area.

Todd
Old 03-16-2017, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I reposted in the water cooler section figuring this was the wrong forum, but since I got you on the hook... I am a military family. I wonder how we can change our home of record? What are the implications of changing home of record? Hmmm!!! I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your license in California or New Mexico?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

CA unfortunately!!! Getting the feeling I'm not gonna be able to do this.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Living in New Mexico, If you live in Bernalillo county you have to pass emissions tests. There are plenty of other counties you can become a resident of. Thing is if you're in Commifornia and not in the Military I think you legally have 90 days to register with Heir Commissar Brown's MVD.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

18 acres in Datil, Catron County
Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cjnomo
I reposted in the water cooler section figuring this was the wrong forum, but since I got you on the hook... I am a military family. I wonder how we can change our home of record? What are the implications of changing home of record? Hmmm!!! I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
If you are military, Get a driver's license and tags from New Mexico. If you go onto New Mexico DMV website and I am sure they have a military section or contact them directly. You can use your New Mexico property address.
Go into deers (talk to your local admin/personnel dept), change your permanent address/home of record to New Mexico. Now you are New Mexico resident. You will pay New Mexico income tax, fees, etc instead of California. Perfectly legal for military. I have lived in Nevada and California and have never been anything but a Florida resident.

Now that being said, most bases require you to smog to local requirements. Since there is no longer a sticker requirement, the only way it gets verified is if you get pulled over on base.

Last edited by JDaPP; 03-19-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDaPP
If you are military, Get a driver's license and tags from New Mexico. If you go onto New Mexico DMV website and I am sure they have a military section or contact them directly. You can use your New Mexico property address. Go into deers (talk to your local admin/personnel dept), change your permanent address/home of record to New Mexico. Now you are New Mexico resident. You will pay New Mexico income tax, fees, etc instead of California. Perfectly legal for military. I have lived in Nevada and California and have never been anything but a Florida resident. Now that being said, most bases require you to smog to local requirements. Since there is no longer a sticker requirement, the only way it gets verified is if you get pulled over on base.
Thank you!!!

Quick Reply: Live in CA / Wanna Register in NM