Notices
Member Video Creations Please post your favorite JK related video link here. Members only please.

middle of absoroka beartooth wilderness... in a jeep!

Old 10-27-2015, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts
Default middle of absoroka beartooth wilderness... in a jeep!

This trail is grandfathered into the the law... but it takes you into the absoroka beartooth wilderness area. the wilderness is about 80 miles long and 20 to 30 miles wide.... there is a ghost town in there, and some old mining claims, so the road remains open to public use. It is a jeep trail, but a stock jeep can do the trail. At the end is a lake that sits under monument peak and haystack mountian. you are only a mile from slough creek drainage and about 12 from the backside of Yellowstone national park. very cool area!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28zDAIBvhEE
Old 10-27-2015, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup
This trail is grandfathered into the the law... but it takes you into the absoroka beartooth wilderness area. the wilderness is about 80 miles long and 20 to 30 miles wide.... there is a ghost town in there, and some old mining claims, so the road remains open to public use. It is a jeep trail, but a stock jeep can do the trail. At the end is a lake that sits under monument peak and haystack mountian. you are only a mile from slough creek drainage and about 12 from the backside of Yellowstone national park. very cool area!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28zDAIBvhEE
Looking good, How long was the trail?
Old 10-27-2015, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by irongate
Looking good, How long was the trail?
The trail begins with about 25 miles of gravel roads, and then 12 miles of jeeping... and then you are on a dead end... so you have to head back out or camp! there are several campgrounds and dispersed campsites along the gravel road, and very nice camping along the trail for the brave. Slough creek at one time had the highest number of Griz bears in the lower 48... so camp with caution. I've had black bear and Griz in my camp up there! Wolves are now in the area too!
Old 10-27-2015, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnysideup

The trail begins with about 25 miles of gravel roads, and then 12 miles of jeeping... and then you are on a dead end... so you have to head back out or camp! there are several campgrounds and dispersed campsites along the gravel road, and very nice camping along the trail for the brave. Slough creek at one time had the highest number of Griz bears in the lower 48... so camp with caution. I've had black bear and Griz in my camp up there! Wolves are now in the area too!
Just put this on my bucket list for next summer. Can you pm me directions to trail?
Old 10-28-2015, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V nice vid. Thanks for sharing. When i was up there the trail was not open yet for the season. Nice music too. Great to see a brother on the forum
Old 10-28-2015, 09:14 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Andyman
V nice vid. Thanks for sharing. When i was up there the trail was not open yet for the season. Nice music too. Great to see a brother on the forum
Thanks! .... and yes the trail is buried in snow until mid July most years... and it's snowing up there now... so there is a limited window to get up there!

Quick Reply: middle of absoroka beartooth wilderness... in a jeep!