Notices
Member Video Creations Please post your favorite JK related video link here. Members only please.

Rotopax Gas Can Review

Old 05-04-2016, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotopax Gas Can Review

In trying to decide how to carry some gas and what can to use on my Mojave trail, I had a discussion with a fellow youtuber and we decided to do a video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q33K6WypzIg
Old 05-04-2016, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it...Very well done!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoBig
I like it...Very well done!
Thank you, greatly appreciate the feedback!
Old 05-06-2016, 03:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RotoPaX

I'v been running the Tire Carrier Version of this for 3 years now. It was actually my first mod. I agree with you on the deluxe mount. I went with the deluxe mount with lock right off the bat. I went with the Lock version because like you said they are a bit pricy so I did not want someone with sticky fingers to make off with my Cans.

I also made a 3rd brake light mod to it so I could run my light there since it was blocked in the old position due to the larger tire. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that RotoPaX are supposed to be mounted on its side because of expansion during 100+ hot days. I know mine have swelled and leaked at least once during an extreme hot summer day but I think that was due to the fact I filled it over the Max fill line so watch for that.

Besides that its a great system always like having a safety net when your out on the trails.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of Daniel.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	646326   Click image for larger version

Name:	After4Washes.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	646327  
Old 05-06-2016, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I'v been running the Tire Carrier Version of this for 3 years now. It was actually my first mod. I agree with you on the deluxe mount. I went with the deluxe mount with lock right off the bat. I went with the Lock version because like you said they are a bit pricy so I did not want someone with sticky fingers to make off with my Cans.

I also made a 3rd brake light mod to it so I could run my light there since it was blocked in the old position due to the larger tire. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that RotoPaX are supposed to be mounted on its side because of expansion during 100+ hot days. I know mine have swelled and leaked at least once during an extreme hot summer day but I think that was due to the fact I filled it over the Max fill line so watch for that.

Besides that its a great system always like having a safety net when your out on the trails.
First and foremost, nice Jeep! That is the first I've heard of not mounting them on their side. I just searched around their website and couldn't find anything about it. They do have a couple pic of the cans mounted on their sides, but only on ATV's and bikes... I'm curious now, so will do a little more hunting on the topic.

Thanks for watching!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RotoPaX

Also you are right about these things being tough as nails. If you look at the picture my Jeep went flop back into a wall and they both took a hit with no damage. I have no doubts about the durability of these cans.

I'm actually going to buy the TeraFlex Side mount for the hinge and mount more cans. I really want to get into the overland scene and more gas will help me get into it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	The Smash.PNG
Views:	174
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	646329  
Old 05-12-2016, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

I made a mounting plate that goes behind the tire carrier for the 4.5 gallon version.... works great! Several times now I have been able to help others get back to pavement with this extra fuel... and I have used it myself when driving to a remote area to start a trail... I can fill the jeep back up and do the trail without the concern of getting back to a gas station! Good video! It is a very solid product!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 493.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	646922

Name:	2013 495.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	646923
Old 05-16-2016, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rotopax

Great video and a well made product.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm at work so don't have audio, if it wasn't mentioned in it.... Rotopax's official stance on the swelling is that the tanks are suppose to only be filled up 3/4 of the way to allow room for expansion.

Also if you have anything anything on the deluxe mounts, the center main bolt is really light for the amount of weight it holds up. I lost 1 rotopax in the bush. Another fell off on a gravel road and buddy behind me almost ran it over before stopping and picking it up, still full of gas. Then lost 2 on the highway, a car ran over one of them spraying gasoline over a couple lanes and the other bounced a few times and actually jumped over the center median and landed in on coming traffic ...

Yep.... love my rotopaxs
Old 05-22-2016, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I'm at work so don't have audio, if it wasn't mentioned in it.... Rotopax's official stance on the swelling is that the tanks are suppose to only be filled up 3/4 of the way to allow room for expansion.

Also if you have anything anything on the deluxe mounts, the center main bolt is really light for the amount of weight it holds up. I lost 1 rotopax in the bush. Another fell off on a gravel road and buddy behind me almost ran it over before stopping and picking it up, still full of gas. Then lost 2 on the highway, a car ran over one of them spraying gasoline over a couple lanes and the other bounced a few times and actually jumped over the center median and landed in on coming traffic ...

Yep.... love my rotopaxs
I have a 2 gal & 1 gal (for Chainsaw 30:1) locked in front of my spare and zero problems after 2 years of hard overlanding and rock crawling, but like you, I feel the threaded rod should have been 3/8 or larger to support the weight.

Name:	ForumRunner_20160523_005854.png
Views:	165
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	647754

Quick Reply: Rotopax Gas Can Review