Notices
Member Video Creations Please post your favorite JK related video link here. Members only please.

Two Jeeps at MOAB

Old 05-01-2015, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Two Jeeps at MOAB

This is the MOAB video from a cross country trip my bro and I did in our jeeps. His is the Silver Rubi and mine is the Black COD MW3 Edition. 7000 miles round trip. Philly to San Fran and back. 4 weeks. We wheeled the Rubicon, MOAB, and some trails in CO near Durango/Ouray areas. I'll post the Rubi one in a separate thread. This was Hells Revenge and Fins and things.

Keep watching till the end... things get pretty hairy on the escalator for my bro.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/LneEQMSRB9o
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 AM
JK Newbie

Old 05-09-2015, 11:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool video good job!! What caused the smoke? It was hairy lol .... Nice pics at the end as well
Old 05-10-2015, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Cool video good job!! What caused the smoke? It was hairy lol .... Nice pics at the end as well
The smoke was because the jeep was at such a steep angle that the oil got sucked into the combustion chamber through the vents that are intended to combust the oil vapors.. The jeep almost hydro locked because one of the cylinders was filling with oil. The second we saw the smoke while he was stuck we had him shut it off... And it wouldn't turn over after that so we had to winch him without it being on...no power steering, no assistance from his jeep.

It was a pretty hairy situation. Once we got him to the top we had to remove the intake manifold and pull the plugs to see what cylinders were affected. We weren't sure if rods were bent or anything and the whole time it was a race against the sun setting. Luckily it was just one cylinder... The last plug we pull of course. So we started the jeep with the plug out to expel the oil.

Buttoned it all back up and some of the residual oil burned off which was the smoke you saw. The jeep was fine luckily aside from some rash on the hard top.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

This looked like a great time especially to be able to do it with your brother. Great vid and great pictures, well done.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BallZ6spd

The smoke was because the jeep was at such a steep angle that the oil got sucked into the combustion chamber through the vents that are intended to combust the oil vapors.. The jeep almost hydro locked because one of the cylinders was filling with oil. The second we saw the smoke while he was stuck we had him shut it off... And it wouldn't turn over after that so we had to winch him without it being on...no power steering, no assistance from his jeep.

It was a pretty hairy situation. Once we got him to the top we had to remove the intake manifold and pull the plugs to see what cylinders were affected. We weren't sure if rods were bent or anything and the whole time it was a race against the sun setting. Luckily it was just one cylinder... The last plug we pull of course. So we started the jeep with the plug out to expel the oil.

Buttoned it all back up and some of the residual oil burned off which was the smoke you saw. The jeep was fine luckily aside from some rash on the hard top.
Yikes glad it turned out ok ..... I was there last May did many trails and obstacles including High Dive and Potato Salad Hill ..... Watched guys on escalator ..... Too scary for me lol
Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Can't wait to get out there
Old 05-11-2015, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Is that Fins & Things and Hell's Revenge? Any other trails in that video?

I have had the same thing happen to me, regarding the smoke from a crazy angle. Scared the hell out of me because I thought it was more catastrophic.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:56 PM
JK Newbie

Nice video, great editing. Hells Revenge is one of my favorite trails down there. I found it interesting that you opted to take on the escalator but chose to skip hells gate and the tip-over challenge. I love the kid that was sticking his head out the window going down the dragons tail. You can always spot a first timer on that obstacle.
Nicely done video.

Quick Reply: Two Jeeps at MOAB