Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

anyone done lil moab in St George Utah?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone done lil moab in St George Utah?

over in St George (where I use to live) is a great set of trails that are refered to as lil moab. Some people go as far as to say they are as good if not better that moab bbut I believe that if moab is a 10 then these would be a 8. The views are great and there is camping right at the start of the trail. One nice thing is that town is under 5 miles away

Anyone else been thru the area at all? I will have to pull up some pics of the trails and post them up.

There is also a "dirt road"(more like a badly working cement mixer to drive on) that leaves from the main drag in St george that ends up on the north end of the grand canyon. this side never gets tourists and is amazing to camp at.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds interesting.

Pics and more details would be great. Although, coming from MN, it would have to be really sweet to bypass Moab and go another several hours to get to St. George...
Old 12-21-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't ever want to bypass Moab!
Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tenhammer
over in St George (where I use to live) is a great set of trails that are refered to as lil moab.

Which trails are these?

We were there a few months ago and hit Arrowhead, Nasty Half, The Maze, Joint Effort, and The Squeeze. Maybe another or two that I am forgetting about. It was unbelievable wheeling and a group of us are going back for WOTR.

My opinion.... this place is better than Moab. More technical wheeling, almost as beautiful, camping at the base of the trail system, hotels as close as five minutes away... and a fairly good sized city 20 minutes away. Hell... in the summer bring a boat and switch it up between the days of your vacation on the lake they have on the other side of the campground. The biggest bonus for me is since I live on the west side of Utah.... Gt George is six hours closer, from SoCal, it's easily a weekend trip.

I do think everyone should do Moab at least once though... it's an amazing place.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:45 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sand Hollow has better hardcore wheeling than Moab, excepting Area BFE.

Moab is different and certainly worth the trip, but the Black Hills in South Dakota and Sand Hollow near St. George are the best I've ever wheeled.

I'm seriously considering buying a place in the St. George area to snowbird from Montana once my daughter graduates from high school in 2 1/2 years.

If I could buy a financial planning practice in that area, it would seal the deal to split my time between Montana and St. George.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKZinger
You don't ever want to bypass Moab!
I've been to Moab 12 times now. Something different may be worth it... . I do love those redrocks though.... Paradise to me...
Old 12-21-2013, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Sweet I'll be down is Utah in May on my way the overland expo.. St George will be fresh area to wheel..

Go Topless :-)
Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by emtgreg
I've been to Moab 12 times now. Something different may be worth it... . I do love those redrocks though.... Paradise to me...
Redrocks of Sand Hollow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8lEQUGilM&sns=em

Old 12-22-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Yeah... it's one beautiful place.

Showing the rock formations... much like Moab, just a bit more sparse.

The beautiful lake at Sand Hollow... down there on that beach somewhere is the campground. All the hardcore wheeling is right where this picture was taken and the other side of the hill is all the more mild/moderate stuff.

And a bunch more posted in my thread.

And it looks like PLANMAN is getting ready to build himself multiple wheeling parks.... hey buddy, how does one get in on the initial investment? I think you're going to have a jackpot on your hands!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Freak

Yeah... it's one beautiful place.

Showing the rock formations... much like Moab, just a bit more sparse.

The beautiful lake at Sand Hollow... down there on that beach somewhere is the campground. All the hardcore wheeling is right where this picture was taken and the other side of the hill is all the more mild/moderate stuff.

And a bunch more posted in my thread.

And it looks like PLANMAN is getting ready to build himself multiple wheeling parks.... hey buddy, how does one get in on the initial investment? I think you're going to have a jackpot on your hands!

Quick Reply: anyone done lil moab in St George Utah?