Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

First Time wheeling in Moab.... my thoughts and experience

Old 09-01-2014, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation First Time wheeling in Moab.... my thoughts and experience

*** Been to Moab before, this was first time wheeling there. Don't wheel back in STL cause I don't like the trails, scenery, or the hot humidity. Did 2 runs when 1st bought the Jeep and going trough mud and getting scratches from trees is not my thing. We travel every year and I knew we would return with a Jeep. Im by no means a expert in wheeling here or anywhere else. This is just my thoughts on my experience from Moab

Research, Research, Research ....Go over maps, videos, The RR4W site, that Funtrek Guide book....anything . Once you have an idea on what trails, talk to Off-road Clubs from that area, on Facebook Groups and/or Forums about trails. Take the Funtrek book with a grain of salt... sometimes the mileage might be off by 1/10th of a mile and you'll see a dirt side road intersecting, and it can get confusing sometimes. The markers or identifiers aren't always easy to see. Thats where watching videos help, so you can catch reference point.

Trails, Trails, Trails
Before we left I was planning on 2 trails a day. Sure it can be done, (Finns & Hells) but realistically, one a day is better. There are some that are easy and you can do a "loop" per say, but anything thing that is hard, it takes a toll on you and the family. Best option is be flexible and plan on one trail a day and go from there.

Intimidation and Pucker factor
The obstacles, ledges, climbs and descents can be FAR MORE INTIMIDATING IN PERSON than what you saw on Youtube and pictures. Nothing can describe the steep climbs and descents of Hells Revenge, and when you are in the driver seat... it looks insane, but when thou look at the video afterwards, you'll laugh. Its very deceiving :crazy eyes:

Sightsee, Sightsee, Sightsee
If its your first time out to Moab, don't be consumed by doing as many trails as possible or conquering the hard ones, especially if your family is with you. Take time and visit Arches, Dead Horse Point, and Canyonlands. Hike some trails, and enjoy the NPs and the scenery. Some of the arches in the park might not be there next time.

Supplies, Supplies, Supplies
Carry water, some food and fuel, plus the necessary gear for the trails you think you'll do. No reason to bring axles and U-joints for easy trails like Shafers or Gemini, but just plan accordingly. I had 3 gallons of water (gallon for each member of family) and 4gal of fuel. Remember, it might be a fellow wheeler that you might have to help
If you drive topless, have some sort of shade...either Spidershade or whatever. Helps big time

Pick up Litter
You see something on the trail as you're crawling, have someone jump out and pick it up. We brought back many plastic bottles form the trails. Like always... try to leave it better than you found it

USE YOUR HEAD
Take it easy on the trials.... it doesn't take much throttle to get up slick rock or some ledges. Think things through and be careful. If you feel like you are off course, get out and walk a bit to see. If you think a obstacle is gonna be to tough, walk it and see. Always be prepared to turn around if needed, and make sure you can go back the way you came. Be aware of your surroundings...Think about what would you do if you "snapped a axle" or "rolled onto your side". Don't make yourself paranoid , but just be aware.
If you can't finish a trail, due to whatever, no shame in turning around and going back, you can always try again another time.
Don't be 'Hard line or no line" mentality... You complete the obstacle...it counts, regardless if you winched, strapped, or took the easy line. The point is to have fun and enjoy, not break things and spend more money. I had a person I know, on here actually, tell me that if you don't take the hardest line, it don't count. Im sorry...Im on vacation 1200miles from home, in a vehicle that we have to drive back.

Overall, enjoy Moab, enjoy the NP and enjoy the trails. Remember, just you being out there is what many others wish they could do and never will for whatever reason. Enjoy the trip and the memories

Last edited by Scvette01; 09-01-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said Sir.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

We'll put. It was fun running into you at the townhouse. Too bad we couldn't run any trails together. Here's a couple pics from behind the rocks and rusty nail
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3276454637.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	574036   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-181448619.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	574037   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1825979781.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	574038  
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdash
We'll put. It was fun running into you at the townhouse. Too bad we couldn't run any trails together. Here's a couple pics from behind the rocks and rusty nail
Funny how we ended up just couple houses from ya. You guys had some serious rigs and we might have slowed you down... Lol

We did good for our first time and plan on going back next year. Only damage we got, is some rock rash on right rear rim.

But what a great place.... 5 days of cruising and wheeling like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1044524342.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	574064

I'm missing it already

Quick Reply: First Time wheeling in Moab.... my thoughts and experience