Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Heading to Moab for the first time

Old 05-27-2015, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heading to Moab for the first time

I'm heading to Moab for the first time and will be there from June 7th to 18th. I have purchased "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads and 4-wheelDrive Trails" to help with trial navigation. I have also down loaded the BackCountry Navigator app on my phone. Which maps are best used with the BackCounty Navigator App? Thanks for any advise!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:03 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wrangler unl145
I'm heading to Moab for the first time and will be there from June 7th to 18th. I have purchased "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads and 4-wheelDrive Trails" to help with trial navigation. I have also down loaded the BackCountry Navigator app on my phone. Which maps are best used with the BackCounty Navigator App? Thanks for any advise!
Can't help you with the app, but general advise,

- That is "the book" to have.
- You can get the waypoints for the trails in the book from the author's site at funtreks.com here: SUV & 4x4 Book Waypoint Downloads - FunTreks Guidebooks for Jeep Trails, 4 Wheel Drive Trails, and back country roads
- Understand the weather. It's f'n hot in Moab in the summer.
- Have a case of water bottles in the jeep at all times
- Moab 4x4 Outpost is the place to go if you bust something
- Hit the visitor/information center in town
- Ask them about the dinosaur tracks in the cow field near Mill Canyon Road (on the way to Tusher Tunnel near Bartlett Wash)
- Make sure you take some time in Arches National Park while you're there and hike to Delicate Arch
- Consider a quick trip into Canyonlands just for the view from Mesa Arch

Finally, have fun. Try to alternate long and hard days with easy stuff. Moab can be exhausting due to the repeated adrenaline rushes. At the end of Hell's Revenge (Tip-toe through Hell on the Easter Jeep Safari) I was completely worn out even though I'd sat on my butt in the Jeep all day. I had, however, about a dozen big rushes up and down the slick rock and from when I saw a hot tub in my peripheral vision and my brain convinced me we were falling into it.

I'm personally more into scenic trails than Jeep-bustin' hard-core trails. Take a break and do something like Gemni Bridges or Tusher Tunnel for something fun.

Have fun and post up a trip report with pictures!

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

A nice day trip is the trail to Gemini bridges,... Which will put you on 313, then to Dead Horse State Park, and Canyon Lands NP, then finish with return back to Moab via Shafer Trail
Old 06-15-2015, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Chuck Wells book, a GPS and plenty of water is all you will need. Some trails that are close to town are short, which means you can squeeze in a trail before and after lunch. I like hitting the Moab Diner for breakfast ( their green chili breakfast burrito is killer) before your early morning trail, then grab lunch at the Moab Brewery, then wrap up your day with another short trail.
Have a safe and wonderful trip!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Eat at Milts great little hamburger stand at the corner where you turn to sand flats rd

Quick Reply: Heading to Moab for the first time