Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Heading to Moab in May- A Few Questions

Old 04-12-2016, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heading to Moab in May- A Few Questions

Hello Everyone,

I am headed out to Moab for my first time in my 2013 Commando Green JK. I will be spending time on both mountain bike single track as well as a few 4x4 Trails. My Jeep is fairly mild, 3.5" Lift, 35" tires, winch, but no beadlocks and open differentials. I am interested in Chicken Corners (which I understand is fairly easy) as well as Fins'n'Things. I am wondering if this trail is doable in my current setup. To me it looks fairly mild, but I would love some input. Also, is Chicken Corners as scenic as everyone makes it out to be?

Thanks guys
Old 04-17-2016, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

I've done fins n things with almost completely stock 2 door. It had some pretty challenging spots but for the most part everything was doable. There was some areas that had some harder obstacles or climbs you could attempt too if you are feeling up to it. I imagine with your setup, even with open diffs, it should be a good time.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

If you can drive it should not be an issue on 35's
Old 04-18-2016, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
If you can drive it should not be an issue on 35's
Same boat for me. Just spent a week there. Did Poison Spider, Elephant Hill, Hells revenge including one of the Hot tubs, too. You will have NO clearance or traction issues. Some will be intimidatingly steep, but your Jeep will just walk right up. Just don't get sideways.
Get a small air compressor and air down to 20 or so. You will have a much smoother ride. Also being able to disconnect your front sway bar would be a major help as well.

Last edited by Dodge4me; 04-18-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default RE

Thanks guys! I am really looking forward to it. Hoping to do elephant hill as well the more I look into it. And DIRTMAN I look up to your Jeep. Your cage is a work of art haha. thanks again guy
Old 04-20-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I will be there the weekend of 14th
Old 04-20-2016, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Moab

I will be there the weekend of 14th
Are you only staying until the 15th? I will be arriving the night of the 16th. And are you on Instagram by chance?
Old 04-21-2016, 06:11 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

planning on leaving the 16th or 17th. I don't do the social media stuff. I am not even sure what instagram is.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Want to throw out a plug for GoToMoab.com Garage. Hope you do not have to use it but if you do it is better working on your Jeep when it is on a lift and not in the parking lot of the hotel. I used them during EJS to do some repairs.

Also I would highly recommend eating at the Moab Grill. Great food.

During EJS I did Fins and Things, Kane Creek, Rose Garden Hill and Flat Iron Mesa with a 3 inch lift and 35's. I do have front and rear lockers that I used a couple of times. If you chose your lines and stay within your abilities you will have a blast. May I also suggest going to Red Rock 4x4's website and download the 2016 EJS magazine it will give you all the details on what each trail is recommended for and give a map on how to get to the various trails.

If you have watched YouTube videos of Moab, you will be completely in awe of the shear beauty of the surrounding area. Pictures and videos do not show the beauty.

R/
Will
Old 04-21-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

planning on leaving the 16th or 17th. I don't do the social media stuff. I am not even sure what instagram is.
I would love to see your rig if possible. I fully understand if that isn't possible though.

Quick Reply: Heading to Moab in May- A Few Questions