Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Moab 2020

Old 05-24-2015, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moab 2020

So today on the road it came to me to plan a trip to Moab in 2020. This will give me plenty of time to get both of my rigs ready. Here is where I need some advice...

#1 I want to turn my current '14 JKUR into a jeep hauling expedition rig. This way I can haul my rock climbing monster to Moab and pack all my supplies.
- first thing I need to know is what do I need to do for this jeep to be capable to haul a trailered JK? Hemi? Transmission? Suspension?

#2 for the second part of this adventure I will need to purchase a 2012 gecko green JK, possibly a rubicon.
- I will star from scratch with this build and turn it in to a beast. So that being said do I really need the rubicon badge on it?
- I'm thinking about a 4" lift to run 35's
- I'm in Michigan and w have a couple nice off road parks with nice crawling trails so I would like it to handle these trails as well.
- really any good advice on putting together ideas for this build would be great. I just caught this jeeping disease late last year so I have yet to get really involved in any type of extreme mods.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topher525
So today on the road it came to me to plan a trip to Moab in 2020. This will give me plenty of time to get both of my rigs ready. Here is where I need some advice...

#1 I want to turn my current '14 JKUR into a jeep hauling expedition rig. This way I can haul my rock climbing monster to Moab and pack all my supplies.
- first thing I need to know is what do I need to do for this jeep to be capable to haul a trailered JK? Hemi? Transmission? Suspension?

#2 for the second part of this adventure I will need to purchase a 2012 gecko green JK, possibly a rubicon.
- I will star from scratch with this build and turn it in to a beast. So that being said do I really need the rubicon badge on it?
- I'm thinking about a 4" lift to run 35's
- I'm in Michigan and w have a couple nice off road parks with nice crawling trails so I would like it to handle these trails as well.
- really any good advice on putting together ideas for this build would be great. I just caught this jeeping disease late last year so I have yet to get really involved in any type of extreme mods.
Why would you attempt to build a jku to tow a jk? None of this makes sense. 4" lift on a 2 door to run 35's? Towing a JK with a JKU 1500 miles through the Rockies. If you want to build 2 jeeps by all means go for it, to do it right will take substantial amounts of money. If you have that kind of money why not just buy a diesel 1 ton pickup to tow both. Or just build one thats capable of driving itself to and from Moab.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4" too much for just 35's.

And mine was Moab ready the day it left the lot, in fact it had a temp plate on it at my first EJS. Why is it taking you 5 years?

Just 2.5 lift will allow 35's and 37's with flat fenders.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150602_130833.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	613507

Last edited by RoysRig; 06-03-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You know, when these type of questions are asked, everyone is going to have their personal opinion. My jeep is counter culture to what a lot of people want to believe. For instance, I run 35's on a 3.5" Teraflex lift and love it. I also kept the front Dana 30 axle and have ARB Lockers front and back. I am fairly certain that I do A LOT more than mall crawling, and i have not had a problem.
As for towing a JK with a JKU, I don't think I would do that. First is power, second is brakes, and third is Manufacturer tow capacity. I just think that it will be too much for the JKU, but if you are insistent on towing, I would flat tow the JK. Not as cool as being on a trailer, but they tow exceptionally well.

Just my opinion. And I got an asshole just like everyone else.

Quick Reply: Moab 2020