Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

MOAB questions... like everyone else. :-)

Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by backwoods
That sounds more like what I've heard others say, but wanted more opinions. Don't want to tear anything up, since I have to drive it home...
With a good spotter, you won't tear up anything.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from moab a week ago, and i ran all the trails you were talking about running. I have a 2010 2 door jk with 2.5" lift and 35s and i didnt seem to have a problem at all. We talked to a guy that lives up in that area and he told us that top of the world has gotten worse in the past year. We ran it and it was slow going and really bumpy i guess i would say. And you will for sure drag your belly on that trail because i know i did. But it was all worth it when we got to the top.

We also did kane creek, and that one i would say probaby had me more on the edge of my seat then moab rim did. There are some spots that are pretty bad, being a tight area and all but with a 2door i was able to wiggle my self around pretty good. my buddy that was with me had a 06 tacoma with 35s (he did moab rim with out a problem) and it was really tight for him sense he has a long wheel base and he got a little bit of body damage, and drug his belly a lot. It was fun but i wouldnt say it was a trail that is a must to be run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2321.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	564005 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2322.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	564004
Old 07-07-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
With a good spotter, you won't tear up anything.
My spotter will be my daughter (22yr old) but she isn't the most observant or experienced off roader, but I am working on her! That's is sort of why I am asking. Being the 2 of us alone with no chase vehicle and no more experienced person to help spot, I will be erring on the side of safety and caution.

Oh, and here is an updated pic of the rig...

Last edited by backwoods; 07-07-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by backwoods
My spotter will be my daughter (22yr old) but she isn't the most observant or experienced off roader, but I am working on her! That's is sort of why I am asking. Being the 2 of us alone with no chase vehicle and no more experienced person to help spot, I will be erring on the side of safety and caution. Oh, and here is an updated pic of the rig...
I wouldn't run any Moab trail alone, especially in the summer. Even with the most built rig, all it takes is some unexpected mechanical failure or driving mishap to leave you stranded. A slip and fall while you are hiking around to get a better view can result in physical injury that requires help from more than one person.

Instead, find someone or a group of people there to join.

People often meet at the City Market or the McDonalds in the morning before they head out.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Also, during the summer, some of the trails in Moab get infested with biting flies. Be sure to take bug repellant and Benadryl anti-itch cream.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
I wouldn't run any Moab trail alone, especially in the summer. Even with the most built rig, all it takes is some unexpected mechanical failure or driving mishap to leave you stranded. A slip and fall while you are hiking around to get a better view can result in physical injury that requires help from more than one person.

Instead, find someone or a group of people there to join.

People often meet at the City Market or the McDonalds in the morning before they head out.

I carry a SPOT satellite tracker, lots of safety gear, water, etc. I travel Semper Paratus "Always Prepared" like a good boy scout. I'm not saying I'm immune to mishaps or prepared for any possible disaster, but in previous years, I have run WRT, Chicken Corners, and others with just me and my daughters in the Jeep and on my first trip to Moab, ran a few trails solo on a motorcycle. If I run into others going the same way, then good, if not, I'm good either way.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, we made it to Moab. Took back roads across Elk Mtn to get here and got caught in a freak storm. Layers of pellet ice, temps dropped to 50s, and roads became mush... but we are here!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@backwoods Keep us all updated. We hope to hear about your journey along the way. Post pics.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ashdon3kids
@backwoods Keep us all updated. We hope to hear about your journey along the way. Post pics.
Okay... I've started copying my trip report from out local Jeep Club over here. You can find it here:

LINKY TO LONG BORING REPORT WITH LOTS OF PICTURES!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey! Another JK'er is here! Didn't see the driver, just passed it parked near Main..

Quick Reply: MOAB questions... like everyone else. :-)