Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

MOAB questions... like everyone else. :-)

Old 07-06-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOAB questions... like everyone else. :-)

So I will be returning to MOAB in a few weeks. This will be my 3rd trip. First time was on 2 wheels, second time in my JKUR (totally stock). I stuck to mostly easy trails the first time in the Rubi. Now I have 33" MTs, leveling spacer lift, and a lot more experience and am wanting to try a few moderate - difficult trails.

So I am looking for trail advice: (got all the guide books)

1) Can I run Kane Creek South to North from 191? Gonna be coming up from Mexican Hat and always wanted to try it. Everyone seems to run it North to South.

2) Thinking about adding Sevenmile Rim or Top of the World to the mix this year. Maybe some Fins and Things.

Anyone else going to be around July 25-Aug 1?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backwoods
So I will be returning to MOAB in a few weeks. This will be my 3rd trip. First time was on 2 wheels, second time in my JKUR (totally stock). I stuck to mostly easy trails the first time in the Rubi. Now I have 33" MTs, leveling spacer lift, and a lot more experience and am wanting to try a few moderate - difficult trails. So I am looking for trail advice: (got all the guide books) 1) Can I run Kane Creek South to North from 191? Gonna be coming up from Mexican Hat and always wanted to try it. Everyone seems to run it North to South. 2) Thinking about adding Sevenmile Rim or Top of the World to the mix this year. Maybe some Fins and Things. Anyone else going to be around July 25-Aug 1?
Kane Creek is a great trail but I can't imagine running it without 35's and a full lift. I haven't run it backwards but even with 35's and a 3" lift there were a few obstacles that put the armor to the test. It has been one of the more challenging Moab trails that I have run and we go down a few times each year.

Seven mile, TOW, and Fins are all great trails.

We would be happy to come down and join you for some trail runs but we will be in the Ouray area that weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-751693522.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	563962  
Old 07-06-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

We're going to Ouray after Moab.... :-)
Old 07-06-2014, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

We will be at the Ouray KOA until August 3rd so we will probably pass you on our way back to Utah.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kssting
We will be at the Ouray KOA until August 3rd so we will probably pass you on our way back to Utah.
If we stick to our schedule, we will arrive in Ouray on Aug 1st.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

We are meeting a few other jeepers and are planning on hitting a few passes on Friday and Saturday so if you make it in and have time shoot me a message. Have you run any of the Ouray passes yet? This will be our second trip out there.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kssting
We are meeting a few other jeepers and are planning on hitting a few passes on Friday and Saturday so if you make it in and have time shoot me a message. Have you run any of the Ouray passes yet? This will be our second trip out there.
I've done almost all passes in San Juans, on 2 wheels and in Jeep. I have a few roads I hope to add this year that I missed before, but the basics I've done:
Engineer/ Cinnamon (Alpine Loop), Ophir, Imogene, Black Bear, Bolam, Hurricane, Yankee Boy, Last Dollar Road, Corkscrew, etc
Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

We only got to Imogene, Engineer, and Yankee Boy last year so there are still several we need to run this year including Black Bear.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With 33s, lockers, rock sliders, a winch, and a spotter, you can run any BLM trail in Moab--even Pritchett Canyon.

Kane Creek can easily be done with a stock Rubi. There are a couple spots where you need a spotter who can see the correct lines.

Moab Rim, no problem. I've spotted a completely stock JKU Rubi through it without engaging the lockers.

You'll drag your belly in those trails a few times, scrape your bumpers, and use your sliders, but that's what they are for.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
With 33s, lockers, rock sliders, a winch, and a spotter, you can run any BLM trail in Moab--even Pritchett Canyon.

Kane Creek can easily be done with a stock Rubi. There are a couple spots where you need a spotter who can see the correct lines.

Moab Rim, no problem. I've spotted a completely stock JKU Rubi through it without engaging the lockers.

You'll drag your belly in those trails a few times, scrape your bumpers, and use your sliders, but that's what they are for.
That sounds more like what I've heard others say, but wanted more opinions. Don't want to tear anything up, since I have to drive it home...

Quick Reply: MOAB questions... like everyone else. :-)