Notices
MOAB If you're thinking about heading out to Moab, Utah and are looking for information regarding trails, lodging, camping and/or events that are going on, this is the forum for you!

Slickrock, two or four wheel drive?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Slickrock, two or four wheel drive?

I've never yet been to Moab. Have enjoyed some of the videos & photos though, and plan on being there in April at EJS.

Question - Do you Moab veterans run that slickrock stuff in two wheel drive or four? It looks like driving on pavement or concrete with gobs of traction.

But... my Jeep only has 3.21 gears, so I'd be tempted to use 4-low on the steep stuff, like Fins and Things appears to be...

Thanks, CW
Old 12-30-2013, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey bud... spend a little time getting used to your Jeep and off-roading before tackling something like Moab.... you'll answer your own question with some experience.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2. ^^^^^^^^
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI
Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last poster.... take your wife/gf/mother's car out there and run Hell's Gate.... same trail you posted. Post the video.

I guess your point was you don't even need a 4x4 out in Moab.

been there and I have a different opinion. But of course, you saw it on video, so it must be true.

Another WOG drone for the ignore list.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Last poster.... take your wife/gf/mother's car out there and run Hell's Gate.... same trail you posted. Post the video.

I guess your point was you don't even need a 4x4 out in Moab.

been there and I have a different opinion. But of course, you saw it on video, so it must be true.

Another WOG drone for the ignore list.
So this video is a fabrication, it never actually happened? Interesting theory. I don't know what a WOG drone is sorry but I do know what a troll is. Its you.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABENDX
Hey bud... spend a little time getting used to your Jeep and off-roading before tackling something like Moab.... you'll answer your own question with some experience.
Hah! Been four wheeling for 30 - 40 years, but never made it to Moab. Always just wandered around the Sierras and the Cascades and the So-Cal deserts. Mostly dirt & crumbly rock. Never did Rubicon either, so very limited experience on big slabs of rock...

Just a question, but thanks for the advice

rsbmg - thanks for the video, cracked me up, but looks like good driving skills matter a lot. That guy in the Crown Vicky was pretty cool. I think I'll bring the Jeep though...

Regards, CW

Last edited by Cascade Wanderer; 12-30-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cascade Wanderer
Hah! Been four wheeling for 30 - 40 years, but never made it to Moab. Always just wandered around the Sierras and the Cascades and the So-Cal deserts. Mostly dirt & crumbly rock. Never did Rubicon either, so very limited experience on big slabs of rock...

Just a question, but thanks for the advice

rsbmg - thanks for the video, cracked me up, but looks like good driving skills matter a lot. That guy in the Crown Vicky was pretty cool. I think I'll bring the Jeep though...

Regards, CW
Glad to see you got it. I thought it was a funny video and realitive to you question. Have fun in Moab you are going to have a blast in both 2wd and 4wd!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! My wife and I are taking a pre-retirement road trip to Moab. We've wanted to go for a long time, as much for the sight-seeing as for the trail running. This little Jeep of ours isn't real heavy duty, so we're going to avoid the Big Nasty Trails. Just going to have fun, see the place, check out the Arches, do some hiking and enjoy.

Between military and law enforcement careers, we haven't really had all that much time for big long vacations. Starting to enjoy those more and more now as retirement draws near.

If the Crown Vicky got up and over those big ol' rock hills, I think our little Jeep should do just fine.

2012 JK two-door, manual trans, 3.21 ratio, open diffs, 1.5" Teraflex leveling kit (springs), currently running BFG 265's on 16" rims, may up-size to 285's before the Moab trip. I don't anticipate the 10k winch getting any use in Moab, but it sure is useful here in the Cascades. Have a new ViAir compressor under the hood since Christmas, very nice for airing up back at the pavement. Have some skid plates & rocker panel protection on order too, just to protect our little white JK a bit.

Looking forward to seeing this big happening we keep hearing about, EJS!

Regards, CW
Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cascade Wanderer
Thanks! My wife and I are taking a pre-retirement road trip to Moab. We've wanted to go for a long time, as much for the sight-seeing as for the trail running. This little Jeep of ours isn't real heavy duty, so we're going to avoid the Big Nasty Trails. Just going to have fun, see the place, check out the Arches, do some hiking and enjoy.

Between military and law enforcement careers, we haven't really had all that much time for big long vacations. Starting to enjoy those more and more now as retirement draws near.

If the Crown Vicky got up and over those big ol' rock hills, I think our little Jeep should do just fine.

2012 JK two-door, manual trans, 3.21 ratio, open diffs, 1.5" Teraflex leveling kit (springs), currently running BFG 265's on 16" rims, may up-size to 285's before the Moab trip. I don't anticipate the 10k winch getting any use in Moab, but it sure is useful here in the Cascades. Have a new ViAir compressor under the hood since Christmas, very nice for airing up back at the pavement. Have some skid plates & rocker panel protection on order too, just to protect our little white JK a bit.

Looking forward to seeing this big happening we keep hearing about, EJS!

Regards, CW

Your little white jeep will do great in Moab.

Quick Reply: Slickrock, two or four wheel drive?