Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 JK Power Steering Gearbox Fail

Old 03-26-2016, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 JK Power Steering Gearbox Fail

Hi all,

I have an 09 Jeep Wrangler X with a 3" Rubion Express lift and 35" tires. I purchased the Jeep about a year ago. Mild off roading and tooling around town since than. In the past month though it has been painful. While offroading at Tierra Del Sol I noticed my power steering slowly leaking fluid at the bottom of my gearbox onto the pitman arm. I took it into my mechanic and he had it rebuilt. One week later I was out offroading with my wife and this time it was not a slow leak but a blow out. I am taking the jeep back into the mechanic on Monday.

In the meantime I have some questions...

This only occurred during some mild off roading with the quick disconnects disconnected. I have been offroading many times prior to this and in much harsher conditions with no issues. Could something else be causing the gearbox seal to break? When is it time to add a brace? Are they worth the money? Could another component cause the gearbox to fail?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Steve
Old 03-26-2016, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A couple threads from the last week or so. Food for thought...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...setups-331945/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...pgrade-331606/
Old 03-27-2016, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Would only add that adding hydro-boost steering was one of the easiest and best upgrades on my JK. I did a WTOR kit, using a Delphi box. I had my local crawler shop (BC Fabrication, Bayfield, CO) fab up some better lines than what WTOR supplied. Steering has ceased being either a struggle or worry.

Last edited by SoK66; 03-27-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 09 JK Power Steering Gearbox Fail