Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10th anniversary nightmarish MPG... Please advise.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
My JKU with 275/70R18 (33x11), Auto, 3.73, & Procal is getting 11mpg in town right now on winter gas. Yes, it sucks. Summer gas I get about 13/14mpg in town and 19mpg on the highway.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. !!! I wouldn't mind it so much if everybody else was getting the same numbers, or I drove it as if I stole it, or had big lift and tires.... but man I cannot justify keeping such a gas guzzler in this day and age.... up here in canada, our gas is your equivalent to $6.00 a gallon! !!!

I guess I'll have to take it to the dealer.... seems like there's extra load on the engine or something to justify such poor mileage...

Envoyé depuis mon MB860 avec Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 jku

I have an 2014, JKU rubi, manual and I'm only getting 16 - 17mpg, I do a lot of coasting, and still can't get any better, it's all mainly hwy miles. Knew it going in when I traded a VW TDI that was averaging 36mpg, gee what was I thinking. Having fun tho
Old 01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

I have a totally stock for now '13 JKUR manual with 4.10's and found similar numbers as you around town when it was new. It came up to around 15mpg around town after about 5K miles and I also changed how I drive. I found that if I wait till around 3500rpm to shift I am getting better gas mileage. Go figure??
Old 01-10-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

So there is hope then.... I'd be happy with 15mpg city driving. Not expecting to get great mileage, just normal mileage for a JKUR that's all.

. And I hate having to drive it like an elderly. I'm no racer, but normally go along with traffic, when it gets going.

I also find that the gas pedal is extremely hard to press down . As if something was under it.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Yeah that is some ridiculous mileage for a stocker. Never heard anyone getting that low. My '12 JKUR 6 speed is all stock (with 4.10's) and I average 18-20 all summer, and have been down into the 16's in the winter. I have NEVER had worse than a 16 MPG tank of gas yet. Hope yours gets better!
Old 01-10-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

2014 jkur with 4.10's automatic and 285/75-17 Toyo Open Country at2 extremes 30psi getting 17-18mpg with winter blend at 70mph and back and forth to work 15-16mpg hand figured and it is always close to what the computer says a few tenths either way. I reset it each fill up. speedo and trip are spot on per two Garmin GPS' and a android speedo app. I used a procal to set the tire size. Tires are true 33's but in order for the speedo/trip to be spot on it needed 32.5" plugged in.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

11-12mpg is pretty rough for the new engine and transmission. That's what I'm getting now in an 07 with 124,000 miles w/ auto & 4.10s on 33" DuraTracs.

That's with a stupid amount of weight in aftermarket parts and the decreased aerodynamics of a roof rack.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't recall seen if you mentioned if it is auto it manual. But I have a 2014 JKU stock auto 3.73 and am getting 14.something. Its only got 1500 miles now. Not great but it's a winter blend here in PA. I do have experience with a 2013 JK manual 3.73. And I will say after several thousand miles the mpg does improve. But I will say something that I believe and you may not believe. Do NOT drive it easy trying to stay in ECO. I thought the same thing with my 2013 and after 5000 miles and when I knew I was trading it in I started driving it harder. And the mpg improved. I am a firm believer these pentastars want to be pushed in high rpms and run better there. I mean 11-12 is considerably lower even then my JKU. But remember the Rubi has the more aggressive tires which will hurt your mpgs a little too. Oh I have driven wranglers and Cherokees for 20+ years also and these JKs are different beasts than I am used to. But once I put more miles on this new one I am definitely going to start pushing it harder.

Last edited by bilash31; 01-10-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, just came back from fueling and as per my hand calculations, I got 11.5 mpg.... as per my EVIC, 11.7 mpg !!! Pretty darn close....

Couple of questions.... I installed window screening inside my grill to protect my radiator..... With the stock air box, could it be interviening with the airflow since that stuff is nitted pretty tight.???? My guess is that this is completely irrelevent, but you know.... second thinking everything now!!!

Gonna do my first oil change tomorrow and check everything out... any suggestions.????

Old 01-10-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Da10A
Alright, just came back from fueling and as per my hand calculations, I got 11.5 mpg.... as per my EVIC, 11.7 mpg !!! Pretty darn close.... Couple of questions.... I installed window screening inside my grill to protect my radiator..... With the stock air box, could it be interviening with the airflow since that stuff is nitted pretty tight.???? My guess is that this is completely irrelevent, but you know.... second thinking everything now!!! Gonna do my first oil change tomorrow and check everything out... any suggestions.???? Envoyé depuis mon MB860 avec Tapatalk
That shouldn't affect the fuel economy... Try punching it hard a few times. I know when my fuel economy starts to tank I drive it like I stole it and the economy gets better for a few months. The engines just need a healthy dose of air flow to clean the sensors and things out... Also as temps go down so does mpg. I know my jeep loves +10 C and below 0 it just gets worse....

Quick Reply: 10th anniversary nightmarish MPG... Please advise.