Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 jku tailgate strength??

Old 02-26-2017, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16 jku tailgate strength??

Hey my fellow jeepers, about to install a lift with 315 70r17's and have heard from an installer in my area that the tailgate on the 16 is not as strong as it has been designed in the previous years.

He mentioned the welds aren't as they were in previous years leading to broke ass tailgates when adding 35s or larger. Anyone experienced stock tailgates/hinges falling off or sagging when going to a larger tire?

I know the simple way around this potential issue is adding a tire carrier or something like the Teraflex heavy duty hinge, which I just might do, but I want to know the true risks of leaving it stock with just an extender.

Thanks for the feedback and real life experiences.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

That should be a 35rigth? You'll be fine
Old 02-26-2017, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe they have gotten stronger over the years, my '15 is rated at 85lbs per the manual. My 315/70/17 package weighs on at 89lbs and I'm running the factory hinges.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you open the door and look at the top lip, you will see a bunch of spot welds. If you run a heavy tire for an extended period, those spot welds tend to break and your tailgate will separate leading to lots of squeaks, rattles and banging. However, just like most failures of this nature, YMMV.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a 2013 2door. Running 315/70x17 GoodYear MTR K. They supposedly weigh 100 lbs. each (wheel+tire), it lasted on the stock mount for 16 months, then the other night I hit a bad pothole on the highway (running 70mph), and it snapped two of the spot welds. Once they pop it is over, the sheer metal will crack, and continue to split until you remove the weight.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Previously before working with Lashway 4x4 I worked at Morris 4x4 Center. When I first started with them years ago I was always spoken to about horror stories on how the JK tailgate does not withstand a lot of weight. I never believed that a tailgate can split in half and never pushed my customers to purchase a tire carrier. That was until shortly after when I saw my first JK tailgate split.

Now over the years of being at Morris I've seen a few tailgates split but a few more with issues of loosing their structure due to the weight. I will say that with a 35 inch tire a tire carrier it not mandatory only if your on the road most of the time. But I would highly recommend a carrier if you do take the vehicle off road consistently or when you do go off road you abuse your Jeep. But going off road that seems to be the only time that ever happens, we dont believe it has ever happened due to normal on the road driving.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

You're probably right on the fringe, but I wouldn't risk it if it were me. Is it fun spending money on a solid carrier? nope.....but it's not fun effing up a tailgate either. Learn from those that came before you. I would rather leave the spare at home for normal DD than to risk it hanging on the back if there is any doubt at all.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Put a heavier hinge on. Teraflex is a good one
Old 02-27-2017, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teraflex makes a heavy duty carrier only . It will handle up to a 35 inch tire. They also make an optional heavy duty hinge for the carrier I just mentioned. It will support 35 inch and larger tires.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Of course last thing I want is a broke ass tailgate because I was too cheap to spend a few hundred for that added security. Teraflex heavy duty hinge seems like a pretty good way to go. So I could use my existing carrier with an extension on that hinge right?

And what about the Tactik brand of hinge?? Basically same thing as Teraflex right, just different name??

Quick Reply: 16 jku tailgate strength??