Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16 jku tailgate strength??

Old 02-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

This thing works well and is pretty competitively priced to the TF unit. Bonus is that it also offers accessory mounts like the TF. I'd steer clear of Rugged/ Smitty brand based on previous experiences with those cheaper brands.

https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/shop...forcement-kit/
Old 02-28-2017, 06:32 AM
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
This thing works well and is pretty competitively priced to the TF unit. Bonus is that it also offers accessory mounts like the TF. I'd steer clear of Rugged/ Smitty brand based on previous experiences with those cheaper brands.

https://www.retrofitoffroad.com/shop...forcement-kit/
I have seen way more Teraflex brand Carrier Hinges than any other competitors, but when I had a customer that wanted one and didnt have the money for the Teraflex Carrier I would sell them the Rugged Ridge brand Carrier.
I have not had a warranty issue from any of my personal customers or bad reviews yet, but I am not saying there isnt any bad reviews out there. I personally also love dealing with Rugged Ridge because they have a great warranty and great customer service.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

ditch the spare and carry a plug kit and on board air.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
ditch the spare and carry a plug kit and on board air.
I respect this opinion for a street oriented vehicle, but have seen too many torn sidewalls and cracked wheels to recommend this for trail use.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
I respect this opinion for a street oriented vehicle, but have seen too many torn sidewalls and cracked wheels to recommend this for trail use.
Depends on the type of wheeling one does mainly. I go spareless around town....and if I'm wheelin within 90 mins of home I typically don't take the spare. If I'm heading further out, I will take one and either drop it off somewhere or carry it in the back like my avatar pic. That said, all the wheelin around here is more organized parks so it's not quite the same an overland type situation. Also probably depends a bit on the specific tire's sturdiness. That said......Dirtman reminded me I need to get a good plug kit.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Throw the spare in the back for wheeling trips. Why carry extra weight around that most people don't ever use on a day to day basis.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Throw the spare in the back for wheeling trips. Why carry extra weight around that most people don't ever use on a day to day basis.
My sentiments exactly! The wife doesn't agree and unlike most wives she does know how to change a spare, but I don't see that happening with 35s much less the 40s on the JK.

Quick Reply: 16 jku tailgate strength??